How to rebatch soap? Help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzysoaping

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm really new to cold process soap making.
The first 2 batches i did seemed to work out ok and the whole process went well.

They are in their first week of curing.
However because i did not superfat these batches i have been told that
they could be too harsh and/ or drying to the skin.
I did the zap test and everything seemed ok.
But have been told to either throw away or rebatch.

What is the process of rebatching and how do you do it?

I'm a little sad that i may not be able to use or salvage the soaps i did as i didn't realize superfat was needed.
I thought that superfatting was personal preference/ choice to have your soaps with additions of unsaponified ingredients
(i am aware that lye will take what ever it wants even if you do superfat)

Any help ple? Much appreciated :)

I would like to know what to do in your situation too because I thought you could just leave the soap to cure for a longer period of time and it would mellow out. I'm sure someone knows what to do :)

grate it and remelt it in crockpot heat on warm/low for an hour or so, open the lid and stir gently.REPEAT lol this will take about 4 hours total. In the oven, about 2 ½ hours. How much time it takes will depend on how warm your crockpot/oven are and how much liquid you’ve put in.

When it’s to a consistency that you think it’s “pourable,” then it is time to add any additives

DragonQueenHHP said:
grate it and remelt it in crockpot heat on warm/low for an hour or so, open the lid and stir gently.REPEAT lol this will take about 4 hours total. In the oven, about 2 ½ hours. How much time it takes will depend on how warm your crockpot/oven are and how much liquid you’ve put in.

Liquid? do you add more liquid?

DragonQueenHHP said:
I use a form like Irish Lass uses

Too much work! :lol: I just cut mine in small chunks and toss in a double boiler. I leave it tightly covered which holds in the moisture. Then when I see the soap has become translucent, I take the lid off, stir really well and glop it into a mold. This has always worked well for me for recently made batches. Of course, I probably would grate if it was from an older batch which was cured.

I usually take the below water and soap shaving proportions:

454 gms grated soap
9-11 oz water

I moisten the soap with the first 9 oz water and pour in the remaining 2 oz when the mass gets really hot and starts steaming. I ve added more water if I though it was needed. U will need to eyeball it I guess. If u use too much water don't worry. The soap in my experience hardens eventually.

I ve always used a double boiler never a crock pot. I would like to try a crock pot though.

It gets into a very thick mass in about 30 mins.

U can add in more colors, FOs/EOs or fillers at this point and I pour it into molds immediately after. Give it 24 hrs before u want to take it out of the mold. I recommend the same curing time i-e minimum 4 weeks as the rebatched soap will remain "wet" from inside and will melt quite quickly if not "dried" properly before use.

Hope this helps
Cheers

I currently have my 2nd rebatach of the week in my crock pot. You can add milk, goat milk, soy milk or water to your rebatch. Monday I used 16 oz of coconut milk for 2 lbs of soap. Some of it was as old as 8 mos. So, it has turned out pretty good. I should have left it in the mold for another day but I was impatient. If you go to Soapers Retreat you can see it. I think it is under the name of Zombie Soap. :lol:

BubblyRose said:
I currently have my 2nd rebatach of the week in my crock pot. You can add milk, goat milk, soy milk or water to your rebatch. Monday I used 16 oz of coconut milk for 2 lbs of soap. Some of it was as old as 8 mos. So, it has turned out pretty good. I should have left it in the mold for another day but I was impatient. If you go to Soapers Retreat you can see it. I think it is under the name of Zombie Soap. :lol:

lol zombie soap, i like the sounds of that haha

suzysoaping said:
Hello everyone,

The first 2 batches i did seemed to work out ok and the whole process went well.

I'm a little sad that i may not be able to use or salvage the soaps i did as i didn't realize superfat was needed.
I thought that superfatting was personal preference/ choice to have your soaps with additions of unsaponified ingredients

I do mine like Hazel- I"m beginning to think she is my twin. LOL :D

I want to know who told you not to superfat- so I can hit them with my big stick. :) I do have one un-superfatted soap- it's for laundry if that gives you an idea.
Superfatting also gives you a little lee way for mismeasurement- not by a lot but some though you always want to aim for spot on measurements.
Just add some oil to that rebatch and you'll be set.
It's pretty awesome for a newbie that soap wasn't lye heavy. Nice job there!

Stinkydancer said:
suzysoaping said:
Hello everyone,

I do mine like Hazel- I"m beginning to think she is my twin. LOL :D

I want to know who told you not to superfat- so I can hit them with my big stick. :) I do have one un-superfatted soap- it's for laundry if that gives you an idea.
Superfatting also gives you a little lee way for mismeasurement- not by a lot but some though you always want to aim for spot on measurements.
Just add some oil to that rebatch and you'll be set.
It's pretty awesome for a newbie that soap wasn't lye heavy. Nice job there!

Hey yeh i measured everything to exact after going over and over my recipe in the soap calc. It's only shea butter and coconut oil.

Asked again how to do the zap test and all seemed ok!!

Ohh it was cold process soap facebook page. They said it doesnt matter about superfat and who ever told me that obviously was trying to confuse me lol.

Well the next batch of soap i do i will superfat and see :)

Latest posts

Back