How to protect feet from lye accidents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love going barefoot, but when it comes to soap spills I figure that in case of a bad spill I'd remove my clothes in the kitchen and get to a shower as quickly as possible. However, I'll need clean healthy feet to do that so I always wear shoes.

I think you ask great and thorough questions; and I'm sure you'll be a successful soapmaker!

Ditto the above for me, only I'll have to change the word 'soaped' to 'soap', since I always soap in short sleeves and with bare feet. [the reason for which I shall explain shortly....]

***Having said the above, it's important that point out that I always, always, always wear goggles, gloves, and an apron, no exceptions whatsoever.***

Continuing on.... in defense of my soaping attire (or rather lack thereof) for my feet and arms, it's also very important that I point out that I do my soaping in the kitchen sink where flowing water from my faucet is at my direct disposal and readily available in an instant should I ever get any lye solution or raw soap batter on my skin.

In all my 10-11 years of soaping, I reckon I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever gotten a few drops of raw soap batter on my bare feet, but because my faucet is right at hand, it was quickly neutralized/cleaned off with water in a matter of seconds without any ensuing damage to myself.

In regards to any occasional splashes I might get on my arms- I used to soap with long sleeves, but I quickly ceased doing that when I learned one day how impractical and potentially more dangerous that really could be: .....some raw soap batter had splashed onto my long sleeve while soaping and soaked through to my arm (which revealed itself by the tell-tale tingling). I had to stop what I was doing and take off my gloves (which had a little soap batter on them), so that I could take off my apron, so that I could take off my shirt, so that I could finally take care of the skin on my arm. Once my skin was taken care of, I had to run to my bedroom to retrieve and put on a different shirt before running back and re-donning my apron and gloves so that I could finally continue soaping. I learned that day that wearing long sleeves may sound very sensible in theory, but in actual practice, splashes are so much easier and quicker to neutralize if certain items of clothing are not in the way/have to be shed first.

IrishLass :)

I agree completely. It is so much easier to clean off my arm under the sink when it is bare! The only time I wore long sleeves while soaping is when I took a class and it was required. I can barely tolerate long sleeves in the winter, let alone in warm weather. I push them up; they fall down. I roll them up; they come unrolled. I can wear them out in the snow when I am outside, but at home inside my house, I really don't care for long sleeves at all.

So I don't even try to wear them while soaping. I don't wear long gloves either. I wear the same kinds of gloves I wore as a nurse, wrist high disposable gloves. I retain dexterity in them, but not in thicker dishwashing gloves, even though I did soap in those at that class because it was required.

I often soap in my everyday clothes, or even in my pajamas, but always with a full frontal apron. I have several aprons, in fact, but one is my designated soaping apron, which I normally wear when soaping unless it is in the wash. Then I wear a different one.

I do wear flip flops when I soap because my feet cannot bear shoes inside the house. They are too hot. In fact I rarely wear closed toed shoes at all even outside except in the winter or if I am going on a hike or have a need to wear my cowboy boots. Even though my feet don't like walking barefoot (too painful), I still have sufficient dexterity to lift my leg up and put my foot in the sink if need be to rinse it off.

I keep my hair back and usually up because even when braided it is too long to be swinging around and landing in the soap. No I haven't done that, but I did come close one day when I left my braid down. And I often wear a visor to keep my bangs out of my eyes. I actually have a visor I keep in the kitchen for that very purpose for when I cook or do the dishes in front of the kitchen window when the sun is very bright.

And I never soap without eye protection, although not the heavy thick constricting goggles that I wore in the cooking class I took. They are just too hot and heavy. I just wear my reading glasses.

And I never soap without eye protection, although not the heavy thick constricting goggles that I wore in the cooking class I took. They are just too hot and heavy. I just wear my reading glasses.

You soap with inadequate eye protection. People have lost vision because lye got past even real safety goggles. Chemical burns to the eye are typically caused by acidic and alkaline substances, but alkaline substances are much worse. It doesn't take much time for lye in your eye to do permanent damage, and you will have trouble keeping your eye open to wash it out because it's so viciously damaging and painful. You can lose your sight and have permanent pain. If you're in easy reach of a shower, soap naked if you want but wear eye protection designed for the purpose.

Soap naked. Maybe some of us do...

I don't own many long sleeved shirts because they're annoying. I found these disposable plastic arm protectors online and use them when I soap. They're hot as heck in the summer, though. However, once I clean up everything, I'm able to peel the sleeves and gloves off at the same time; put them in the middle of my puppy pad along with all of the used paper towels; then roll the entire thing into a neat ball and put it in the trash can. They were cheap, about .22 each. I'll bet they have something like this for the feet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNT5AOS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Soap naked. Maybe some of us do...

I don't own many long sleeved shirts because they're annoying. I found these disposable plastic arm protectors online and use them when I soap. They're hot as heck in the summer, though. However, once I clean up everything, I'm able to peel the sleeves and gloves off at the same time; put them in the middle of my puppy pad along with all of the used paper towels; then roll the entire thing into a neat ball and put it in the trash can. They were cheap, about .22 each. I'll bet they have something like this for the feet.

Yes, booties. We used to have to wear them in isolation rooms, although not plastic like that because it would be a slip & fall hazard.

You soap with inadequate eye protection. People have lost vision because lye got past even real safety goggles. Chemical burns to the eye are typically caused by acidic and alkaline substances, but alkaline substances are much worse. It doesn't take much time for lye in your eye to do permanent damage, and you will have trouble keeping your eye open to wash it out because it's so viciously damaging and painful. You can lose your sight and have permanent pain. If you're in easy reach of a shower, soap naked if you want but wear eye protection designed for the purpose.

I realize that, however I know the risk I am taking and am careful not to splatter. I could have prescription goggles made, but the heavy goggles to wear over my glasses make me so hot they steam up and then I can't see. Then I have to wash my hands, remove my gloves and remove the goggles to dry them off so I can see again. This all takes a lot of time and is very annoying to have to do all the time. I had to do that several times last time I used them. I'd rather see what I am doing and keep on soaping.

But thank you for the cautionary note. I know you are right. Still the reading glasses are more protection than bare-eyed, so I still consider it to be some protection, if not ideal. I would wear those onion goggles if I didn't need reading glasses.

But you have made me consider seeing my eye doctor and asking about prescription safety goggles.

Back