How to price shipping??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsbysonja

Reaction score
I just shipped a package of soaps to Sweden for the first time and charged $9 shipping and got to the post office to find out it was $15! I only made $3 on that deal! I shipped them anyway because it was my fault. How much does everyone charge for over seas?? That was my first shipment overseas. I usually just ship in the USA. thanks everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

International shipping is costly in terms of time and money, so you have to decide whether the extra paperwork and cost of shipping internationally is worth the hassle for the price of the merchandise you are selling. If you do go for it, be sure to be well educated on the cost including the time involved for the extra customs paperwork that may be required. If you can set up and buy your shipping online, that is very helpful -- UPS, USPS, and FedEx all try to make online shipping as easy as possible, even for international shipments.

If you ship parcel post or first class, the up-front cost is lower, but ship time can be long and (more importantly) you have no tracking information for such shipments. For USPS priority mail or other shippers, you get tracking information within the US borders and sometimes even full tracking to the point of delivery depending on the country. This can be a life saver if the customer claims to not have gotten a package, because you can at least prove you shipped it and acted in good faith.

I speak from painful experience when I advise to NOT ever, ever use UPS or FedEx to ship internationally if you are the one paying UPS or FedEx directly for the service. You will pay the shipping costs, which are spendy enough, but later on you'll be hit with "brokerage" fees, which can far exceed the cost of the shipping AND the merchandise. USPS is really the only way to go, unless you have a very high-value order or if you have a customer who will provide his/her UPS or FedEx account number, which means the customer will pay all fees.

And then don't forget the customs delays, which will slow delivery by a few days to a few weeks, again depending on the country. Canada, UK, Australia, Sweden, Norway, and New Zealand are usually pretty good, but in my experience France can be slooooowwww. And build in another few extra days if you ship close to the Christmas holidays.

Some shippers will give into customers' pleas to mark on the customs forms that the contents of a shipment are a "gift" or "samples". This is done so the customer can avoid custom's fees. I will not do that. Ever. If customs chooses to argue the point, any repercussions and fines will assessed against me, not the customer, so I have everything to lose and nothing to gain by this. I'd rather lose the sale, quite frankly, than risk that kind of hassle.

It is certainly do-able to ship internationally, but do your homework on the rules and procedures, price your shipping fees to truly cover the costs, and learn how to complete the customs paperwork before you hit a crunch time.

Last edited:
I realize I did not directly answer your question about what I charge for shipping internationally. Although my business is not bath/body related, the same ideas apply to any small biz. I charge for the out-of-pocket cost of shipping and I also include fee of a few dollars for the extra time needed to do the paperwork. For a hobby business, one might choose to just charge the exact cost of shipping, but mine is not a hobby -- it's my livelihood. I expect my business to pay me a fair wage for the many hours I spend in the shop. The hours I spend doing customs forms every year is time spent away from doing productive work that does pay its way, so I can't see the point in doing all the paperwork for free.

Here are two versions of an online calculator that will help you with the USPS rates: http://ircalc.usps.gov/ or http://postcalc.usps.com/ Do not assume a flat rate box will be the cheapest way to go. It ~might~ be for a shipment that is fairly heavy for its size and it certainly is the easiest for you, but it can be pretty pricey for most typical shipments, in my experience.

If you have an online account with USPS to purchase shipping, the USPS "click n ship" website will guide you through the process of preparing customs forms. It's always best to read up on what has to be put on the forms, however, because customs forms are just not easy to understand without a little studying.

Here is an online interactive form that you can explore to learn more about customs forms before you actually have to use them: https://cns.usps.com/go/ShippingInformationAction_input Keep in mind that all this customs stuff is included in "click n ship" so you don't have to do this as a separate activity -- this form is mainly on the USPS website for those who do not use "click n ship".

Here's an overly simplified video of the process of shipping internationally via USPS, but it does show the customs forms you'll end up with: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6C1QhShVA0[/ame] There can be a one-page simplified customs form for shipments under a certain dollar figure or a four-page form (shown in the video) for more expensive shipments.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back