How to prevent soap frosting from breaking away from the soap it's piped on top of?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
I've started looking into soap tutorials and methods for soapmaking where I can add an additional layer of soap onto my loaf that adds height and mass (and design) to the bars so soap past cutting.

However I'm able to find very little about how to make sure that the frosting adheres to the soap it's now sitting on top of, and I'm worried that what I might try will just cause the frosting to break off once it's all cured.

Is there any way to make sure your frosting will adhere to the soap properly? Are there any good guides out there on this matter?

While I've never done this myself, I have seen it where some people take a fork or knife and make small slices diagonally (going both ways) on the top of the soap. They say this will help the frosting adhere to soaps that have already gone thru saponification. I guess so it's not such a smooth surface. Hope that makes sense.

It's best to pipe immediately after you pour (after it's set up enough to hold it up of course)...it also helps if the piping itself isn't fully set up...practice should help you find that happy medium.

I have piped anywhere up to a day afterward and it does stick, but it's more at risk for breaking off the older the soap is. Wetting and crosshatching the soap beforehand can help if the soap is older.

Ahh this is wonderful news, thank you all who've responded, sorry I've been a bit distracted otherwise I'd have been a bit more active in replying ><

Tbh the top layer on my last bar of soap was applied maybe an hour or so after I did the initial pour into the mold, as I'd needed to wait for it to thicken up, and while the top layer did easily fall away from the end pieces when I sliced the loaf, it does appear to be sticking on much better this time. However there does appear to be a thin line of discolouration I'd like to get to the bottom of, (I think it could be just from waiting a bit for the top for an hour?) but at this stage I'm just happy to see the thing staying on! :D Thank you all again

107826342_3119444398145947_9055789618206433258_n.jpg

Back