How to overcome adhesion issues during winter - newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldawg

Reaction score
I've just started candle making and am still struggling with the basics!! In particular, wet spots!!

I've finally come to the conclusion that my issue is down to cooling temperature. My flat is generally on the cold side - less than 20deg for sure. After pouring I left my candles in the cooling oven for around 4-5 hours. There were no signs of adhesion issues at this point prior to going to bed. I then put them in a plastic box with lid, in what I hoped would be the warmest place in the house overnight (although this was around 17deg at this stage and was likely to have gone down overnight). The next day the wet spots were pretty bad.

I've read that maybe wrapping in a towel/sock will help slow the cooling, or using newspaper over the top and I will try these things next but wondering if anyone has any other solutions. I am using ecosoya CB advanced and poured at 60deg into warm glassware. I might also try a higher pouring temp.

Any advice welcome! TIA

I've just started candle making and am still struggling with the basics!! In particular, wet spots!!

I've finally come to the conclusion that my issue is down to cooling temperature. My flat is generally on the cold side - less than 20deg for sure. After pouring I left my candles in the cooling oven for around 4-5 hours. There were no signs of adhesion issues at this point prior to going to bed. I then put them in a plastic box with lid, in what I hoped would be the warmest place in the house overnight (although this was around 17deg at this stage and was likely to have gone down overnight). The next day the wet spots were pretty bad.

I've read that maybe wrapping in a towel/sock will help slow the cooling, or using newspaper over the top and I will try these things next but wondering if anyone has any other solutions. I am using ecosoya CB advanced and poured at 60deg into warm glassware. I might also try a higher pouring temp.

Any advice welcome! TIA
As this is your first post, please go to the Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself, so members get to know you.

In particular, wet spots!!
Wet spots are just a part of candlemaking. Learn to embrace them or you will drive yourself crazy. No matter what you do, you will never truly eliminate them, even if in your environment you think you have. Once that candle changes environments, everything you did to prevent them, will be a moot point, and they will just come back.
Also, over the years, I have also learned the ONLY people who even care or notice wet spots are makers. The general public consumers either don't care or notice. Look at any commercial container candles and you will know what I mean. Most consumers think that's how they are supposed to look.

Embrace them. You can do everything right and it can be perfect and then it can totally happen anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️
If it really bothers you then maybe consider a more forgiving container or a wrap around label.

Latest posts

Back