How to make very thin guest soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please tell me how do they make these soaps so thin without them curling?

I assume they use a tube mold.

Thank you.

flat soap.jpg

My best guess would be that someone is super talented at cutting and planing. Maybe a recipe with alot of hardness

I could even suggest that they poured a thin sheet of soap then cut out with a cookie cutter. But I also like the pour a very small amount into circle molds answer.

All good suggestions.
Now that you mention it they aren't all the same thickness.
But I guess that could happen with a circle mold or a thin sheet.

But, wouldn't either method result in a bent cake of soap?
When I shave off a bit of soap to straighten a loaf they curl badly.

Maybe a thick mandolin (I have one of those and will give it a try) but that doesn't solce the curling problem.

Jade - the ones on the link you gave a a bit thicker so, while not as uniform, would work really well, I think. Also that would overcome a problem with adding extra salt or something else to produce a hard bar to do a sample.

Soap makers seem to be amazingly inventive and creative!

I do think that they would have to have SL or salt to make those in a mold. That is sort of why I lean towards the cookie cutter idea. It would not distort the edges if you caught it at the right time.

I think Susie is on the right track here. That's what I would do if I wanted thin soap like that. I think pouring the soap in a thin layer on a cookie sheet, letting it harden to a doughy consistency and then removing the excess soap while it's still soft would work best. You could even ball the excess up so you don't waste it. Then after a few days when the soap rounds are hard and don't dent, you can remove them from the sheet.

I have done this with smaller shapes like leaves with a fondant cutter and they didn't curl so I am with everyone else on the cookie cutter theory. :)

She used to be very active on this forum (Amanda Gail) so I would bet if you emailed her, she would tell you what she does. She teaches soaping as well and seems like a very sharing person.

She used to be very active on this forum (Amanda Gail) so I would bet if you emailed her, she would tell you what she does. She teaches soaping as well and seems like a very sharing person.

Amanda Gail got back to me and she said:

I used a silicone muffin mold to make the soaps and a soap slicer that a friend made to shave off the top of the soap. It cuts off slices that are about 1/8".

Back