How to Make Soap - Soapmaking Guide for Beginners

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Marsi

Reaction score
This has already been beaten to death, but I agree that this is an unnecessary hurdle to put in front of new soapers! Wiser to focus on the most necessary, agreed-on practices so we don't overcomplicate things for noobs. (Personally, I just don't have enough room for duplicate equipment.)

Q: Do you already have a visual for trace? Easier to recognize trace if they have photos to work off! I'll hunt for pics we can use here without stepping on toes...

This is definitely going in my shopping cart; thank you!

"Q: Do you already have a visual for trace?"

SoapySuds

The Suds Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, you could write a book on it and post it here, with all the last details. But this is good.
If someone is serious, they will buy a book and read all the fine details there. But this is good.
Other than the grammar errors, this is great.
Cold process should be mentioned and if someone wants to know what 'trace' is or other terms, it's a great place to point people to the search bar and use it to find out what these things mean in the forum.

mrsserena

Reaction score
I have a question, and recommendation, about this particular bulleted warning sentence….

"Nonreactive pitcher or container to mix lye into water (NOT PYREX OR GLASS!!!!)"

The question is Why?
Pyrex is tempered glass, specially designed to withstand the heat of a furnace or flame.
As a Chef, I’ve used pyrex ovenware on the BBQ, under the Broiler, and in the Oven.
It’s specifically created to withstand extreme temperatures without breaking. The large Pyrex mixing-bowls are equipped with handles. Incidentally, Brambleberry’s founder (and President) uses them when doing her “How-To Video” segments for You-Tube, and also recommends their use.
I think, personally, that this quote I’ve taken in-question is misleading and inaccurate. Would you like to respond? If not, I recommend the changes, to reflect this. With the First Warning to be:

* The Equipment MUST be kept specifically FOR SOAP PRODUCTION ONLY! Never use, or allow the interchange, of any hardware used in SOAP preparation, later, for FOOD production.
* Only the use of branded “PYREX” glass, or stainless-steel, or Silicone for the mixing of lye and oils in the soap-production process.

These are my recommendations. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Thank you, ThinLizzie

I use and highly recommend the use of surgical gloves, if you don’t like using rubber-gloves. Just ONE splash of lye-water will help you to understand why!
There’s a REASON why they use lye to dissolve dead bodies. It works FAST to dissolve flesh and bone to a ‘pourable liquid.’ And LYE burns like HELL!
They've changed the formula for pyrex glass, and it is no longer resistant to the lye chemical. So it's not the heat, but the chemistry that is a concern.

psfred

Reaction score
"Pyrex" is just a trade name, unless the container was made by Corning before 1990 (or maybe earlier) it's just tempered glass.

Look for the small R in a circle after "Pyrex" as that is the trademark for the "real" stuff (borosilicate glass, not plain silica glass).

Story I heard was that someone got all excited about borosilicate glass leaching boron and possibly poisoning people, but while it does indeed leach borates with very long contact, it really requires serious etching to cause any real issues. The result was that real "Pyrex" is off the market and it's no longer possible to buy borosilicate glass for home use. Hence the detonating baking dishes, etc.

Reaction score
It is so easy to buy HDPE buckets at any hardware or paint store, they have wide bottoms and are microwave safe. So why bother with cheap flimsy dollar store measuring cups or pyrex glass measuring cups that can explode? I still have a few of my original buckets that have been used since day 1 of soaping and I made a lot of soap. I also used them to make masterbatch up to 10 or so batches so I would always be ready to soap, by just melting my oils in the microwave until just cloudy.

Reaction score
"Q: Do you already have a visual for trace?"
Videos like this are so helpful (they also helped me learn how to stickblend soap batter without incorporating air bubbles when I was a complete noob--pulse while pressing against the bottom of the pot/pitcher, stir, pulse, stir, always keep the tip submerged)

Latest posts