How to make my own perfume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was asked to make a perfume of eo for someone, I am right in the process of blending Patch, Lemon, Frankincense and Ylang Ylang. Then I thought, am I to add a carrier old?If so how much oil to how much eo? :wave:

I make roll on perfume oils. I use fractionated co. I also make a fragrance balm. They are basically a lotion bar with more fragrance. Check the IFRA usage for max usage in this type of product. One I make would be 1oz oil and .50 fragrance.

So I have my patch anhored with frankincense, I used lemon, ylang ylang, cedarwood, in varies amounts and will smell to see how it works. My next question is the container, I know I am making this harder then it should be, but......is there one better then an other when it comes to either a roll on or orifice bottles?

I use those from Elements and they work really well. I actually have 100 being delivered tomorrow. I've never had any not work or leak. I use the glass for selling but the grey ones I use as testers and samples. HTH

ok, roll-on is the preferred typed. I too like the idea of roll-on. Thanks. People ask for this and that, never realizing that I can either pour it into their hands and they can take it that way or I can package it and charge for it. Thanks for all the help. So far I'm ok with all that is involved with doing perfume oils. :razz:

I know its been awhile, so I have this blend for the base:
Patch 3 parts
Ylang Ylang 2 parts
Frankincense 2 parts
Lemon 2 parts

Then I have either:
bergamot 3 parts

or
Lavender 3 parts

My question is how do I measure out the carrier oil, because I wanted to use 14 grams in total. Just confused on this.:shock:

3+2+2+2+3 (bergamot or lavender being the last 3) is 12 parts. 14 grams divided by 12 parts is 1.16 grams per part.
3.5 grams patch
2.32 grams ylang ylang
2.32 frankincense
2.32 lemon
3.5 grams bergamot or lavender.
13.96 total grams

Are you using the essential oils at about 10% dilution in carrier oil? This has been a good start for my perfumes, which are not perfume oils but solid perfumes (just in shea butter)

If your total carrier oil + essential oils = 14g
Than this would be about 12.6g (or 13g) carrier oil and 1.4g essential oil blend.

1.4g divided by 12 parts is .1166g a part, so
Patch = 0.35g
ylang ylang = 0.233g
Frankincense = 0.233g
lemon = 0.233g
and either bergamot or lavender = 0.35g

As most scales do not measure in fractions of grams you will need to measure these in drops.

Essential oil conversions are a bit different (different density and viscosity than water) but for water, one drop weighs 0.05g so we can use this number as a 'close enough' approximation.

So this works to 7 drops patchouli, and either bergamot or lavender; and 4.7 drops of the ylang ylang, Frankincense and lemon. So up to you, round out to either 5 drops or 4 drops.

Good luck with it. Making small quantities is harder! Are you sure you only need 14g total?

I know its been awhile, so I have this blend for the base:
Patch 3 parts
Ylang Ylang 2 parts
Frankincense 2 parts
Lemon 2 parts

Then I have either:
bergamot 3 parts

or
Lavender 3 parts

My question is how do I measure out the carrier oil, because I wanted to use 14 grams in total. Just confused on this.:shock:

I am so very glad that there are people who can do math and explain it! I was wondering about making solid perfumes for Christmas presents, and this helps quite a bit.

lionprincess, you could have easily missed the carrier oil part since no one really answered on the first page. I am suggesting 10% but YMMV. It also depends on which EOs we use, some are really strong.

Spice, i wanted to warn you about the phototoxicity of lemon and bergamot. Not to alarm you, but it would be better to use the lavender, since bergamot is pretty bad this way. However, you can tell you customer to only wear it at night, or on an area of the skin covered by clothes or hair. Not sure everyone has issues - I have used lip balm at 2% lime EO on sunny hikes without a problem - but better safe then sorry.

Orange and tangerine have very little of the substance responsible for the phototoxicity (bergaptene).

Oh Spice :) I have jumped in the world of perfumery.. ARRGH such i complex world that is.. i find myself so confused. and yet amazed at how making perfumes is compared to music. ...

and how you can spend hours smelling and sampling..

But i think according to my husband how is a music producer.. that music is an emotion. when he created he begins by playing the keys. then the keys or his emotion moves the keys. ? does this make sense.

PERFUME IS LIKE MUSIC A FEELING AN EMOTION THAT EVOKES WHEN SMELLED.

So i am learning to smell with my heart? make sense.

Oh Spice :) I have jumped in the world of perfumery.. ARRGH such i complex world that is.. i find myself so confused. and yet amazed at how making perfumes is compared to music. ...

and how you can spend hours smelling and sampling..

But i think according to my husband how is a music producer.. that music is an emotion. when he created he begins by playing the keys. then the keys or his emotion moves the keys. ? does this make sense.

PERFUME IS LIKE MUSIC A FEELING AN EMOTION THAT EVOKES WHEN SMELLED.

So i am learning to smell with my heart? make sense.
That is beautiful. I was trying to think of a way to inspire when it comes to doing this. I am not a composer, but I am a dancer and music moves me. Thank you.

Are you using the essential oils at about 10% dilution in carrier oil? This has been a good start for my perfumes, which are not perfume oils but solid perfumes (just in shea butter)

If your total carrier oil + essential oils = 14g
Than this would be about 12.6g (or 13g) carrier oil and 1.4g essential oil blend.

1.4g divided by 12 parts is .1166g a part, so
Patch = 0.35g
ylang ylang = 0.233g
Frankincense = 0.233g
lemon = 0.233g
and either bergamot or lavender = 0.35g

As most scales do not measure in fractions of grams you will need to measure these in drops.

Essential oil conversions are a bit different (different density and viscosity than water) but for water, one drop weighs 0.05g so we can use this number as a 'close enough' approximation.

So this works to 7 drops patchouli, and either bergamot or lavender; and 4.7 drops of the ylang ylang, Frankincense and lemon. So up to you, round out to either 5 drops or 4 drops.

Good luck with it. Making small quantities is harder! Are you sure you only need 14g total?

OMG, this is so awesome. I was feeling negative about what I was going to do, the I see this. The reason why I am only doing a small amount is because I didnt know what I was doing. I wanted to make this for a friend; then I thought about it and wondered if there would be a market.

I have never heard of solid perfume! I am so interested now. I am going to make this.

This is the two of my favourite, I don't use grams in my perfume. I check by my nose how strong or light I like.

Christmas perfume
20 drops cinnamon EO
12 drops Ginger EO
30 drops may Chang
40 drops tangerine EO
40 drops sweet orange EO
100-150 ml perfumer's alcohol

Luscious Lavender
30 drops Frankincense
35 drops rosewood
45 drops lavandin
50 drops lavender ( English)