How to make my own perfume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
green soap, first time I have heard of solid perfume. How does that work. I mean, does it melt in the heat? Can it be placed in a aluminum tin?

Why do you like it better then the other liquid stuff?:confused:

Back in the 1960's(yes, I know I am old), They put solid perfume in every type of jewelry: lockets on necklaces, rings with "secret" flip tops, bracelets with large "stones" would actually have a "secret" compartment. It meant you could take your perfume with you with no one the wiser. Needless to say, everyone knew what those were, but it intrigued me.

I am thinking about pouring solid perfume/lotion bars into large lip balm type tubes as part of everyone's Christmas goodie bag/box.

green soap, first time I have heard of solid perfume. How does that work. I mean, does it melt in the heat? Can it be placed in a aluminum tin?

I put mine sometimes in aluminium tin or even in plastic or glass

I will try to find a picture for you...they are called solid scented lotion on the label, technically a balm or solid perfume. (Some people will get these for Christmas). I just happen to have a lot of these containers, little tins will work just fine too. These do make it easy to apply without getting your fingers into the can.

scentedLotionsTransformationShakti1.jpg

I will try to find a picture for you...they are called solid scented lotion on the label, technically a balm or solid perfume. (Some people will get these for Christmas). I just happen to have a lot of these containers, little tins will work just fine too. These do make it easy to apply without getting your fingers into the can.

fabulous, do you use bees wax too? If so how do you calculate the amounts?

Just saw the picture and yes you use beeswax. :)

Last edited:
Once I put a lot of solid perfumes (I made mine with candelilla wax and carnauba wax, and castor oil, so that the 'carrier' stays on the skin for as long as possible)
In lipbalm tubes, and believe it or not the ppl I gave these to as opposed to the ones who got them in tins or deodorant containers, are the ones who ask me to send them more, if I ever do them again. They were small, easy to carry, and being concentrated in such a tiny space, the scents lasted longer and were more evident and powerful.

Just remember essential oils are volatile, and most of them don't last as long as fragrance oils, or perfume complexes, if you decided to go the 'I want to become a professional perfume maker' route....which is also a very fun thing to do.

Once I put a lot of solid perfumes (I made mine with candelilla wax and carnauba wax, and castor oil, so that the 'carrier' stays on the skin for as long as possible)
In lipbalm tubes, and believe it or not the ppl I gave these to as opposed to the ones who got them in tins or deodorant containers, are the ones who ask me to send them more, if I ever do them again. They were small, easy to carry, and being concentrated in such a tiny space, the scents lasted longer and were more evident and powerful.

Just remember essential oils are volatile, and most of them don't last as long as fragrance oils, or perfume complexes, if you decided to go the 'I want to become a professional perfume maker' route....which is also a very fun thing to do.
I was thinking of doing solids, then I thought about ppl carrying the lip balm tubes in purses and the heat (now that its summer), wont that melt or change the EO? When something like that happens, it seems ppl blame the makers for whatever goes wrong with the products.:!:

I was thinking of doing solids, then I thought about ppl carrying the lip balm tubes in purses and the heat (now that its summer), wont that melt or change the EO? When something like that happens, it seems ppl blame the makers for whatever goes wrong with the products.:!:

Depends on the waxes you use. Beeswax would melt fast...but that wax mix I used ended up being as hard as a rock....the worst is it would soften a tiny bit in hot weather.
The climate I was in was hot humid desert where it was normal to reach 110% and for the most part the solids stayed..solid lol.

but then again, it was so hot ppl would go from their cars, to indoor places, then home...so not a lot of walking around in the outdoors.

Experiment with the harder waxes, and see if you mange to find one that would stay put if you place it near a window with a lot of sunlight, and then use the one you like th best.
I hope this helps you decide a bit more!

Depends on the waxes you use. Beeswax would melt fast...but that wax mix I used ended up being as hard as a rock....the worst is it would soften a tiny bit in hot weather.
The climate I was in was hot humid desert where it was normal to reach 110% and for the most part the solids stayed..solid lol.

but then again, it was so hot ppl would go from their cars, to indoor places, then home...so not a lot of walking around in the outdoors.

Experiment with the harder waxes, and see if you mange to find one that would stay put if you place it near a window with a lot of sunlight, and then use the one you like th best.
I hope this helps you decide a bit more!
This certainly keeps my mind running. The more info on the subject the better for me to see what I need to so. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back