How to make black lines on surface of basketball soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulMomma

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for an easy way to add the black lines to the surface of the completed soap?

I am new to soap making. I want to make round basketball soaps, using a Pringles chip tube as a mold, for my daughter's team mates for Christmas. I have some activated charcoal on order from Voyageur.

I have already experimented and created a CPOP soap, colouring with a paprika-infused olive oil. Now I just need to add the black lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

A new Nova Scotian soaper!

Hello and Welcome. Making lines after the fact will likely be a bit messy. You could try a black mica in alcohol and brush it on, see if it will stick and not rub off.
You could try with charcoal but not sure that would work either.

Also, since you are new, take a few minutes to go over to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself.

One idea could be to gently carve the lines with ceramics tool (or similar) then fill the lines with black melt and pour. It might get a bit messy but if you’ve got the tools for carving you can use the same ones to clean up the overspill

There are also baseball soap molds that you can buy. I looked at some once for my brothers, but didn't buy. If I find a link, I'll include it.

I have added mica-painted details to soap using rubbing alcohol and the mica with a paintbrush in the past and it stays pretty nicely as long as the soap isn't handled a lot. If you let it dry well and then wrap in shrink-wrap it seems to hold up quite nicely.

Here are two links to the Milky Way Baseball molds:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/baseball-soap-mold.aspx
https://www.bulkapothecary.com/base...2dW1r6SfXj2IsOs3kuQHBzEvuqLCrzxhoCwdkQAvD_BwE

Here are how the hand-painted mica-and-alcohol painted soap turned out:
z14R78b.jpg

xKmOTyZ.jpg

Back