How to make a soap planer? Woodwork DIY

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
Any woodworkers out there who could help a sister out with some guidance on making a soap planer? A shop on Etsy that made a fab planer was taking a break because the owner had health issues. This morning that shop is no longer on Etsy. I'm so sad for that family in what that probably means, but I digress...
I've seen some YouTube videos, but each of them seem to end up with something that looks like it'd last for planing one bar before it fell apart, or hurt someone. Also, though I have limited tools I do have a DeWalt tabletop mitre saw. I literally have no idea where to start.

My notes thus far:
~ 4" wide planing blade (already purchased)
~ Planing bed 4.5"W X 8"L
~ "Feet" that elevate the bed at least one inch off the work surface
~ Stay Put Ledge - not sure what this is called. I have a chiseling jig, made by a dear old man who we've lost contact with, which has a 1.5 inch downside edge that hangs over the edge of a work surface so the jig will stay put. So hard to explain, so here's my very bad drawing:
1616603522046.png

Looks good so far! (As a planer in general, at least, not an expert on soap planes) The blade you have, I presume it has some sort of holes or slots for attaching it? I'd imagine to a large extent you'll need to work around that.

DeWalt tabletop mitre saw.
Nice! We have one of those too :)

Yep - the blade has holes. I think maybe I'm getting stuck on what the parts should look like, and then the best or most proper way to cut them, and then put them together...and yeah...given that list of "stucks" I obviously have no clue here. LOL

How are you getting on with this project? I finally got my hands on a cheap pre-made one and I've been thinking about your plan.

I guess preferences will vary but I'm finding I like to pull rather than push when planing, so I'm bracing it against my stomach. I feel like I have more control than with a pushing movement.

The blade is adjustable, which is handy - it's fixed like this:
16173804854015743605420103042289.jpg

There are also grooves which I discovered today can be used for beveling:
16173806151868996184787059153650.jpg

If I was to make any change, it would be to add some sort of guide at right angles to the blade, to keep the corners straight.

Thank you for encouraging me and prodding me on in this endeavor, and for your notes here.

I know my analysis paralysis is because I know I can't cut/drill/nail a straight line to save my life, even with power tools. Not a big deal on my large projects, like beds, couches book cases and side tables, but there's not the margin for error in something so small. I dread the fiasco of many bits of little wood rejects and the heartbreak when it busts apart. I don't know how my 7th grade woodworking teacher survived me. 😂

I'd like to make one with a planing surface area of at least 4in x 8in so I can plane a small soap loaf. Of course, there's also the unknown of using a planer to begin with. I'll definitely keep in mind the pulling vs pushing, which makes total sense to me.

I guess I need to either just buy a cheap one and deal with it, or suck it up buttercup and start cutting!

Last edited:
Thank you for encouraging me and prodding me on in this endeavor, and for your notes here.

I know my analysis paralysis is because I know I can't cut/drill/nail a straight line to save my life, even with power tools. Not a big deal on my large projects, like beds, couches book cases and side tables, but there's not the margin for error in something so small. I dread the fiasco of many bits of little wood rejects and the heartbreak when it busts apart. I don't know how my 7th grade woodworking teacher survived me. 😂

I'd like to make one with a planing surface area of at least 4in x 8in so I can plane a small soap loaf. Of course, there's also the unknown of using a planer to begin with. I'll definitely keep in mind the pulling vs pushing, which makes total sense to me.

I guess I need to either just buy a cheap one and deal with it, or suck it up buttercup and start cutting!
I had a similar problem today, I found a great antidote to the fear of cutting was to have a big sheet of something cheap to work with, so the worst outcome was having to cut a piece again if I messed up. (I was feeling kind of woodworky so I made a new soap cutting box to fix the things I don't like about the one I bought.)
I also did end up using a tiny pencil and ruler from a maths set for the measurements because of the small error margin thing 🤭
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Back