How to make a red colorant?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just now. The white is a little darker from the fo

edit...the really dark red is from spicy tomato

Attachments

• 73CFED66-A39C-4C88-9153-1B739550B685.jpeg
    73CFED66-A39C-4C88-9153-1B739550B685.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 20
I managed to get a nice deep red with rosehip powder (I was trying for pink). The batch is only about 48 hours old, so I'm still waiting to see if/how it changes!
For a ~46 oz batch: seeped 2 Tbsp of rosehip power in rose water for a couple days, strained out and discarded the powder, then added an additional 1 tsp to half the batter at light trace. The black half has ~1.5 Tbsp activated charcoal.
I'd be interested to see how others have gotten red using non-mica colorants and am wondering if anyone thinks this red will last?
View attachment 52082
That's an amazing color for a natural colorant! Did you grind the powder yourself from rosehips? Asking for, ahem, a friend who has a huge bag of rosehips that was supposed to used to make tea (but my, uh, friend, didn't like the tea).

I soaped today and wanted a red. I used Bramble Berry's suggestion on 2:1 bubblegum pink : merlot. It was too pink and I kept adding more merlot and getting more pink. Hit me up if you have a great red colorant or a great blend that makes red. Thanks!
I use mad Micas true red set, you do have to mix 3 separate colors together but it's definitely a true red!

That's exactly what I wanted -- your opinion! Thanks. I placed an order with Mad Micas too. I gotta lot of experimenting ahead of me.
The mad Micas true red did bleed a little at 2 tsp per pound of oil so maybe try a little less.

Attachments

• 20201129_184955.jpg
    20201129_184955.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 17
That's an amazing color for a natural colorant! Did you grind the powder yourself from rosehips? Asking for, ahem, a friend who has a huge bag of rosehips that was supposed to used to make tea (but my, uh, friend, didn't like the tea).
I bought them pre-ground, but I don't see why grinding the whole ones yourself wouldn't work (especially if you're seeping them in the liquid before adding the lye). It's been a few more days and the color has become darker and less vivid, but still very much a red.
BTW, I agree with your friend. Rosehip tea does not taste as good as it sounds!

I use the closest to red mica I have (Chemistry Store Bordeaux or Micas and More Ruby Red) and mix with a neon pink (Micas and More Radically Reddish) at 1:0.5 ratio (the neon being the lesser). This gets me pretty close. I prefer a more pink red than a true red, so usually mix at 1:1, but for a few custom orders I have had success with the first ratio.

I bought them pre-ground, but I don't see why grinding the whole ones yourself wouldn't work (especially if you're seeping them in the liquid before adding the lye). It's been a few more days and the color has become darker and less vivid, but still very much a red.
BTW, I agree with your friend. Rosehip tea does not taste as good as it sounds!
I am currently attempting an oil infusion using whole rosehips to see if I can get a good natural colorant result. Also making a "tea" with the whole ones to utilize it like you did. Fingers crossed that this works!! That red is really nice. I used a red oxide before and it stains everything!!!

Latest posts

Back