How to make a hole in bell of stick blender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milky

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't get any matches, though I know for certain some people have done this before. So before I ruin my stick blender :shifty:, do I just use a thin drill bit and go at it?

I didn't get what you are trying to say.. you want to make hole in the bell of stick blender??

Is the bell made of plastic or metal? Plastic is fine, start with a small drill bit and then up the size as needed. Don't but too much pressure on it while drilling and it should be fine.
Metal is harder, especially if it's sturdy stainless steel. What I do when making holes in canning jar lids is punching a hole with a hammer and nail and then drilling it bigger, but I don't know if you can do that with a stick blender bell.

It takes practice to get the right angle to burp a stick blender, so some practice is needed (It took me quite a while to figure out how to get all of the air out!). Use just the oil in the bowl to practice this with, so you will get all day to get the motion down. Lean it over until you see air come out. Blitz it a second or two to see if you get bubbles. If you get bubbles, you start over again.

With the practice don't forget to vary the oil amount. Get proficient with a larger batch (for 2+lbs of soap) then practice for a small batch (1lb) for o get a feel for the difference.

Depending on my batch and my bowl I need two different burping methods but now I'm reasonably proficient with any option I need to get nice soap.

I wouldn't do any drilling of the bell of a metal stick blender. For a variety of reasons. One: my own personal safety. Two: potentially ruining my stick blender arm. Three: potentially ruining my drill Four: potentially producing rough, sharp edges in the bell of my stick blender arm that would be a danger when cleaning (again, personal safety)

What I would do, is go online and find out if I can order a replacement blender arm for my brand of stick blender that already has cut-out holes. My stick blender has a couple of different options for replacement arms, as do many other brands. If I couldn't find one online for my particular SB, I'd go buy a new one. They're pretty cheap compared to the damage I know I would cause if I tried to drill a hole into a stainless steel SB arm.

I have to second what both BrewerGeorge and earlene said. I would worry about fountaining soap batter, and harming myself. Just does not seem like a good idea. That is why I gave the mini lesson on how to learn to burp the blender.

I have tried this with a KitchenAid SS stick blender. I used a special bit meant for metal and went slow and it worked just fine. There were no sharp edges and nothing left behind that could cut. However, please note that this backfired on me a bit.
I purchased a used SB to try this so I didn't ruin my SB so I was OK with giving this a try. Yes, it definitely makes it easier to remove air trapped in the bell, however, BE AWARE that if you get the top of the bell near the surface the holes drilled to help REMOVE air will work against you and actually act as a suction and DRAW AIR INTO the mix. If you're careful enough you can avoid this but I find it easier to just properly burp the SB than to have to pay extra close attention to how far the bell is from the surface. I have since stopped using the drilled bell and just burp.

Thanks everyone! That was all very wise advice and I'm really glad I asked first!! I'll practice burping the air out instead. Terrible at it so far. Also made the mistake of using a whisk. Don't know what I thought would happen. lol.
My stick blender was kind of cheap, under $20, but I'll see if there are other options for it.

Latest posts

Back