How to maintain hygiene when re-using lotion bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
How does one maintain hygiene when re-applying the same lotion bar every day? While I understand that people are supposed to apply the bar on clean skin and a bar may be used by only 1 person, I figure there remains a potential for contiminating the bar with skin cells, bacteria, etc. Most people do not exfoliate on every wash.

Is this matter simply overlooked?

The matter peeked my interest further when also considering that bars do not typically contain preservatives. Would 'natural' preservatives (like Phenoxyethanol / PhE) be a decent workaround?

It is true that a lotion bar, soap bar, lip balm, or other similar solid product is likely to have contaminants and microbes on the surface from exposure to the environment and the user's skin. But it is also true those contaminants and microbes are wiped off the surface of the product simply by using the product.

The issue is probably not something many hand crafters think about, but commercial makers and cosmetic researchers certainly have investigated this issue.

Even if a person washed/exfoliated their skin before using a lotion bar, skin particles, microbes, and other contaminants will still remain on the skin. Maybe the amount would be lower, but it certainly won't be zero.

If you feel the need to use a preservative in a lotion bar, that's certainly your choice. Just be sure to use one that's oil soluble. I have no opinion whether "natural" preservatives would be effective.

I had one customer ask me this question and I'm afraid the only answer I knew then to give her was to break/slice/cut off only what she intends to use, keeping the rest of the bar "clean" and apparently that's what she does. Used a butter knife she says...

Everyone else, including us here at home either didn't even give it a thought, or didn't care lol.

I don't know if that applies to you?

I rarely give that a thought. I typically run anxious as my baseline too! I'm a swimmer and ignorance is bliss -- I just cannot think about what all is in the water! Lalalalala, can't hear you.

What I will tell you though, is that I do wash my hands -- or take a shower -- right before applying lotion bars. And each of us in the house have their own separate tins.

Back