How to label proprietary blends?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylyn Valdez

Reaction score
I’m using Brambleberrys emulsifying wax and it states in the SDS sheet that it is a proprietary blend so it does not give me the percentages of ingredients. How do I label this for my lotion? Do I list it as emulsifying wax or do I need the percentages to label this?

Use the INCI name and then you just have to make a judgement call around where to place it in the list.

For example if your formula is

Water 80%
Glycerin 2%
Emulsifying Wax NF (INCI: Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60) 5%
Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil 10%
Fragrance 1%
Phenoxyethanol 1%
Extracts 0.5%
Sodium Benzoate 0.5%

The water and apricot oil would come before the emulsifying wax but then you need to take a guess at the ratio of cetyl stearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60. The cetyl stearyl alcohol will be higher than the polysorbate 60 because it is listed first. Lotioncrafter offers a similar (the same?) product and specifies that the cetyl stearyl alcohol is (70-80%) and polysorbate 60 (20-30%). A good estimate for the ratio would be 75:25. Which means 3.75% Cetyl stearyl alcohol and 1.25%.

So your ingredient listed would be

Water (Aqua), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, INCI Name for Extracts, Sodium Benzoate.

Hope this helps :)

Back