How to Keep Soap Scents From Fading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeggieOPeach

Reaction score
Hello again,

About two to three days ago I created two batches of separate soap and added the fragrance oils into the mixture. I tried adding enough (I'm still unsure about accurate measurements of oils) and the scent came out great. I allowed them to cure during the 24 - 48 hour process, but afterwards I then noticed that my scents faded. Very little is evident and I cannot smell the true authenticity of the fragrance oil. Oh, I have forgotten to add that I've purchased a 0.33 ml bottle of fragrance oil and included it in a 3 pound batch of soap. Is it because I didn't have enough fragrance oil??

I am still learning to translate ounces into tablespoons and teaspoons. Any tips would be awesome!

You need to weigh you fragrance oils, not measure in tsps. .33 ml isn't even near enough. Most people use 1/2 - 1 oz fragrance for each pound of oils used.

I didn't know that. When I was starting out with my first batch I purchased these small bottles of fragrance oils and they were 0.33 ml. When I tried to weigh them I couldn't get a proper weight due to the scale not reacting to these bottles. So, I tried to guestimate how much I would need. Throughout the constant failed attempts at creating decent smelling soap I came to the conclusion that I needed to increase the amount of fragrance oil in order to last within the soap after the settling stages. Thank you for the response!

I don't think you mean .33ml. I think you mean 33 ml which would be just about one ounce. .33 ml would be about 6 drops.

Either way, you do need to weigh and you need to know your units.

I don't think you mean .33ml. I think you mean 33 ml which would be just about one ounce. .33 ml would be about 6 drops.

Either way, you do need to weigh and you need to know your units.

Can I use a standard digital scale to weigh my fragrance oils? I tried to use it, but I wasn't able to get a number on my scale.

You need a good scale that accurately weighs small increments. I use a standard food scale from Walmart.
You don't weight the actual bottle of scent, you need to pour it into a separate container. I use large shot glass or small glass condiment cups.
Never use plastic to weight scents, it will melt.

Okay then. I'll definitely look into that sometime soon. Thank you so much for your advice!! :)

I am sure they mean .33oz i have bottles that size in my eo collection. Its 10ml
Yes, that makes sense too.
And, to come full circle....for a 3lb batch of soap, they'd likely need about 100ml of FO, which is about 3.3 oz :p
Who says metric and imperial don't line up???

You need to weigh you fragrance oils, not measure in tsps. .33 ml isn't even near enough. Most people use 1/2 - 1 oz fragrance for each pound of oils used.
Agreed if you are making CP I believe you can use .8 ounces per pound ( I think 🤔)
MP is .5 ounces
Check your fragrance oil and it should let you know but pretty sure you did not add enough

Latest posts

Back