How to improve the fluidity of my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StolacSapun

Reaction score
I'm planning on making Marseille soap soon, using the boiling process, and I'm wondering how to make the consistency as fluid and uniform as this .

If you really are making a BOILED soap, the fluidity shown in the photo is something that is normal.

If you are using a HOT PROCESS method, be aware it's not at all the same as the boiled process. If you want HP soap to be that fluid, just use more liquid. And expect a lot of shrinkage and deformation of the soap during the cure.

I tried a trial run of making this soap using the boiled method a couple of weeks ago. It didn't turn out right with the curds separating every time I stirred them and the soap when set was too crumbly. Also the curds weren't as fluid as this with the curds being pretty thick as if I used hp.

Use less salt or less NaOH when graining out the soap, so more water is left in the soap layer.

Use less salt or less NaOH when graining out the soap, so more water is left in the soap layer.
Do you have a recipe using the boiling method so I can follow it when making this soap? Also how much less lye should I use?

Last edited:
No, I don't. The boiled method is not something that can be taught in a simple tutorial or recipe.

Consider using an HP method with the lye discount set to zero or a slight negative amount (-2% or so) That is a rough approximation of a boiled soap, although the glycerin is retained in the HP soap.

Last edited:
No, I don't. The boiled method is not something that can be taught in a simple tutorial or recipe.

Consider using an HP method with the lye discount set to zero or a slight negative amount (-2% or so) That is a rough approximation of a boiled soap, although the glycerin is retained in the HP soap.
Should I also add more water?

"...Should I also add more water? ..."

Do you mean when using an HP method to simulate a boiled method? If so, adding extra water will give you the fluidity you are looking for. As I explained before, the extra water will also cause your finished soap to shrink and deform more. It's a tradeoff.

In a boiled soap making method, the soap pot should already contain an excess of water. In that case, more water won't accomplish anything so the answer is no.

Back