How to get True Black

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So I've used AC to try to achieve black in my soap but it always turns out a grey/blue color. Anyone know what else to use to get a great black color?

How much AC do you use? Some people say the get a good black at 1 tsp ppo but I generally use more like 2 tsp ppo. Adding a touch of black oxide to some AC or using black oxide alone can work but oxides tend to be very strong and bleed if you use too much.

Black oxide or mica works.
I used a black glitter mica from ED and it was a disaster...I have pics around here somewhere...it ended up looking like vanilla beans! I ended up using 4 times the recommended amount! I ended up putting green mica in to save it.

Here I just found the pic:

004.jpg

Here's my second attempt with a black oxide from BB, recommended to me from a member here:

001.jpg

So I've used AC to try to achieve black in my soap but it always turns out a grey/blue color. Anyone know what else to use to get a great black color?

I've been using activated charcoal and been very successful in getting a deep true black. If I mix it directly into the batter at about 1/2 tsp ppo, I get a charcoal grey. At 1tsp to 1/2 TBS, I get anywhere from a deep grey that's almost black to a deep solid black.

If I mix the activated charcoal with glycerin then add that glycerin mixture to the batter, however, I get a thinner color that is more translucent, ranging from light grey to deep grey.

I mix black oxide, ac and now I have some black liquid colour, I'll throw that in as well - no measurements, only enough so it's looks black.

I used to make this soap with charcoal and bentonite clay, popular with the younger crowd. The black seems black enough to me - I don't sell anymore and I do not personally like charcoal in my soap, therefore a thing of the past - I used 1 tbsp in 2 lbs soap.

charcoalbentonite2.jpg

Back