How to get rid of squeaky clean feeling in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGSoaper

Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of handmade soap recipes have that “squeaky clean” feeling, which I do not like. Can anyone advise on how to get rid of that feeling? One site said that olive oil gives that feeling, but I have soaps with olive oil and other ingredients that did not cause the squeaky cleaning. Some people like that feeling, but then I’d be making soap that I wouldn’t even use. I use 20% coconut oil in my recipes and I still get the feeling, and it’s not drying my hands out either.

I find cocoa butter and sometimes other butters give a "squeak" while rinsing off the lather. My skin doesn't feel stripped of oils or over-cleansed, though; so for me at least, it isn't the same as 'squeaky clean'. So it depends -- hard to say without knowing exactly what's going on for you. Do you feel over-dry or just hearing the sound?

That squeak could also be because of your type of water.....is it hard by chance? You said your skin wasn’t dry, so it may not not the coconut oil.

That squeak could also be because of your type of water.....is it hard by chance? You said your skin wasn’t dry, so it may not not the coconut oil.
Unfortunately, my water is hard. I have tried two other soaps made by others that did not give me that feeling even with the hard water. The business owners don’t give their recipes so I have no idea what amounts of ingredients they are using.

I find cocoa butter and sometimes other butters give a "squeak" while rinsing off the lather. My skin doesn't feel stripped of oils or over-cleansed, though; so for me at least, it isn't the same as 'squeaky clean'. So it depends -- hard to say without knowing exactly what's going on for you. Do you feel over-dry or just hearing the sound?
I felt dry when the coconut oil was 20%,the palm oil was 40%, and rice bran oil at 30%, and either castor oil or Shea butter at 10%. It felt squeaky clean when olive oil was subbed for rice bran oil. I also felt the squeakiness in a recipe that probably used olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, goat’s milk, and Shea butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lye soaps do have a particular feel due to their high pH, and that’s not something you can get rid of. I mostly make/use syndets because of it, and soap only occasionally. But people react to soap differently so you should experiment with your recipe and see if something makes a change.

ETA: since not *every* handmade soap gives you the feel, it’s probably your recipe. Good luck!

Lye soaps do have a particular feel due to their high pH, and that’s not something you can get rid of. I mostly make/use syndets because of it, and soap only occasionally. But people react to soap differently so you should experiment with your recipe and see if something makes a change.

ETA: since not *every* handmade soap gives you the feel, it’s probably your recipe. Good luck!
Even though making handmade soap is fun, with where I am at, I’d rather be using commercial soaps. My next shot is to use goat’s milk in lieu of water and cut down the coconut oil because that recipe was normal for me.

Unfortunately, my water is hard. I have tried two other soaps made by others that did not give me that feeling even with the hard water. The business owners don’t give their recipes so I have no idea what amounts of ingredients they are using.

Try adding a chelator like citric acid, sodium citrate, or EDTA. The link provided above is an excellent source of info. Other people have commented on squeakiness and had hard water; the solution for them was chelators. If you find it's not the solution for you - them maybe try adjusting your recipe.

Try bumping it up to 8, or 10 if you’re using a lot of coconut, and definitely let it cure a minimum of 2 months, go 3 if you have the patience! I have a 100% Castile soap that I didn’t touch for a year and it is superb. As mentioned, adding tetrasodium EDTA isn’t a bad idea either, I add disodium to acidic cosmetic formulas and tetrasodium to alkaline. Here’s the link where I get mine, the info on how to use it is on the description.

https://lotioncrafter.com/products/tetrasodium-edta

Last edited:
Try bumping it up to 8, or 10 if you’re using a lot of coconut, and definitely let it cure a minimum of 2 months, go 3 if you have the patience! I have a 100% Castile soap that I didn’t touch for a year and it is superb. As mentioned, adding tetrasodium EDTA isn’t a bad idea either, I add disodium to acidic cosmetic formulas and tetrasodium to alkaline. Here’s the link where I get mine, the info on how to use it is on the description.

https://lotioncrafter.com/products/tetrasodium-edt
Thanks

Sorry, but before you try any other recipe changes or superfat amount, look in to chelating. That will make the biggest difference for you. I am pretty certain that the soaps which were better did use something to chelate.
The ingredient lists did not mention any cheating agents, unless they were not included on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back