how to get odorless tallow for skincare?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Pujol

Reaction score
I am currently rendering tallow by oven (a steamer basket over a pot in the oven) and have tried a double boiler as well. Both methods still lend a slightly beefy smell. I notice in the soap forum there's suggestions to render by boiling and chilling with salt and/or baking soda. However, I don't want *any* salt or baking soda etc residue in my rendered tallow. Any suggestions for rendering a clean, pure and odorless tallow??

You don't have to worry about excessive salt/baking soda in your tallow. When you have done your simmerings with salt and baking soda and the rendering water is free of beef taste, you do a last rendering/simmering without salt and baking soda and that should be enough.

I have a soap maker around here mentioned to me that she throws a bunch of cloves when she renders her tallow, it gives her tallow a very nice aroma. She said that her final soap doesn't have the slightly tallow scent she used to get without using cloves. I didn't try it myself yet.

Latest posts

Back