How to get back the scent in cold process soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJulia

Reaction score
Hi,

I have made cold process soap and they have all come out well. They r hard, moisturizing, and lather well. The only letdown is all its smells have completely faded. Very disappointing. I need help to get back the fragrance(I use only essential Oil) into the soap.
They are more than 100s of them in different variants and planning to sell. Also, I would like to know how to retain the smell when packing it in a box?

Thanks in Advance.
JJulia

Hi,

I have made cold process soap and they have all come out well. They r hard, moisturizing, and lather well. The only letdown is all its smells have completely faded. Very disappointing. I need help to get back the fragrance(I use only essential Oil) into the soap.
They are more than 100s of them in different variants and planning to sell. Also, I would like to know how to retain the smell when packing it in a box?

Thanks in Advance.
JJulia
You'll learn over time what scents stick the best. Citrus rarely sticks around. I have better luck with 5x and 10x citrus essential oils. Also, when using citrus, add litsea cubeba. Also, there is no consensus on here about the effectiveness of mixing essential oils first with clay -- I haven't tried it but it's on my list. Also, it's not an essential oil, but I love benzoin resinoid which lasts -- it's like a vanilla-y sweet chocolatey heavenly scent.
After the cure, I store my soaps in cardboard shoeboxes. I use cottonballs with several drops of the essential oils I used in that batch.
Good luck,

I need help to get back the fragrance (I use only essential Oil) into the soap.

You can't; once it's gone it's gone. You would need to rebatch and add more EO, but no guarantee that it won't fade again. But with that said, as noted by @Zany_in_CO, sometimes the scent is just hidden INSIDE the soap and once you mix it with some water and work into a lather it comes back, but that isn't going to help you sell the soap because people want to smell it when they buy it. So try some of the things that @Zing suggest.

I started out with EOs because I wanted to make an "all natural" Goat Milk Soap and they smelled wonderful after I cut them and put them in the garage to cure, but three months later...nadda lotta. I was either going to have to make small batches and hoped they sold/used right away or...I moved to FOs. Not only were they cheaper, but I have soap that is three years old and I can still tell what scent it is.

Back