How to fix a smelly cold soap batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

We make cold process soap here and just some background info we also make and harvest our own coconut oil (both cold pressed virgin coconut oil (VCO) and normal heat processed coconut oil) as we live in the tropics. However over christmas someone left the virgin coconut oil in with the curd for a few weeks and it went very smelly as the curd went off. We strained the oil and the VCO oil was still very smelly. I thought that maybe through the cold process soap making, with the chemical reaction between the lye and also because i heat up the oil a bit to about 50-60 degrees celcius that the smell might go, and in addition to that i used loads of essential oils, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, and lemon myrtle to try and get rid of the smell. I let the soap set, it has been curing for about a week and it is still super smelly, like bad body odour. I wouldn't even use it as a washing detergent in its current state.

So my question is, what can i do to lose the smell?

- These are my thoughts, remelt the batch and bring to a high temperature (but i have never done this before)- thoughts and advice?

- I heard bicarb soda can remove bad bacteria and smell, what would happen if i add bi carb soda to the remelted batch?

- someone also told me fresh vanilla helps to remove smell, i dont know.. any thoughts?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
As we make our own soap and oil from scratch our soap it very precious so it's such a huge shame if we have to throw it away...

Many thanks for any advice in advance!

Frederika

My thought would.be to Chuck it. Sounds like the oil was rancid that you used to make It? Nothing fixes that I don't think
Thanks Primrose for your reply. Yes I suppose that's my last resort. Will see if i can get any other solutions before i come to that... Thanks again

Back