How to figure how much oil for mold.

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Soapmaker Man, Mar 26, 2008.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2017 #221

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

You're joking, right? Um, in architecture & engineering, we use mostly metric -- just like soapers prefer to use grams for lotions & potions. I s'pose NASA did too. The interesting thing back then is, when JFK was elected President of the USA, he promised we would land on the moon in 10 years. He also promised that, in those same in 10 years, we would be on the metric system! Maybe that's why he was assassinated?! (Just kidding.)

Americans are resistant to change, even if it's good for us. I'm embarrassed that we are the only "civilized" country in the world that still uses the Imperial system. Sad really and, dare I say, ignorant... in a nice way of course. :)

amd and Dahila like this.
  2. Nov 2, 2017 #222

LBussy

LBussy

LBussy

Supporting Member

I thought Great Britain used Imperial measures for a lot of things?

Dahila likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2017 #223

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

Not always, mostly not anymore. Miles still, not km. Cm or mm mostly, but a lot of people still think in inches. Height, for example. Weight for people is stone. Cooking is mostly grams It's an odd mix, that is for sure.

Actually, zany, NASA did use a lot of Imperial at that time. Even the lunar module coming down was measuring the distance to landing in feet

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  4. Nov 2, 2017 #224

Saponista

Saponista

Saponista

Yes I am weird, I only know my height in ft and ins, and distance in miles but I measure everything else in metric. I weight myself in stone and lbs, but I weigh everything else in metric. We do a weird sort of hybrid lol

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Nov 2, 2017 #225

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Mile is difficult for me even I know it is 1600 m, inch is weird it has a tiny bit less that 2.5 cm, I am metric and took me a long time to get ounces :) Thanks heaven we use Km and litres in Canada, there is always also imperial measurement on most things but will be on the second place ie 1000 g /2.2 lb

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2017 #226

Saipan

Saipan

Saipan

I was joking, yes, but I do like to point that fact out. The UK uses Imperial for a good many things still, I do blacksmithing, and often things are still Imperial for that in the UK.

7. Nov 6, 2017 #227

iwannasoap

iwannasoap

iwannasoap

I tried this with the recipe I just made yesterday. I figured .40 stood for 40% of oils. I was definitely wrong about that one but I compared it to what I did yesterday because I only lost 2.46% (and I was scraping the bowl) so It was pretty close to use it as an example.
    Anyway, doing this for the same mold I used yesterday works better for me if I used .42 instead of .40. If I would have done this yesterday I would have lost less then 2.46% because that would have put me a little more then a 1/4 oz closer to my target.
    To make it short, .42 works much better and is closer to the top of the mold in my opinion. I'm like the other guy here, "What is .40?"

Aubriana likes this.
  8. Nov 7, 2017 #228

Lifetime Supporter

Maybe in some instances .38 is better, too, so they had to find an average which is near enough all of the time, but unlikely to be perfect every time.

At least thanks to whoever worked it out first time round, you had a ball park figure to start with, even if they didn't make it totally perfect for your particular batch of soap

9. Nov 7, 2017 #229

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Here's more background on this topic -- http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58581

"...As you all have been sharing in this thread, some soapers will end up with too much batter from using the 0.40 rule, and some won't have enough. So it's obvious the 0.4 rule is simply a rough rule of thumb. Whether the original person originally came up with this number empirically or by calculation, it really doesn't matter anymore. What does matter is the 0.40 rule has been around for some years now and soapers are still using this rule of thumb, so it is proving to be reasonably helpful for most people most of the time, despite its limitations...." --DeeAnna

pamzsoapadventure likes this.
  10. Dec 20, 2017 #230

isha

isha

isha

I use imperial system... Weighing. In grams
    So this is what I've learnt and used.. Works well
    You need to calculate the size of mould in cms. Instead of inches and multiply by the std multiplier 0. 72
    So now calculate (in cms)

VOLUME =L X B X H
    Weight of oils = V X 0.72 (GRAMS)

for pvc of round mould. ( IN CMS)
    V= pi X R X R X H

Weight of oils (grams) = V X 0.72

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Garnet_Tree likes this.
  11. Dec 20, 2017 #231

Garnet_Tree

Garnet_Tree

Garnet_Tree

Ounces of Oils

These formulas work for OUNCES of oils.

If you want to work in grams then you need to do the calculations and then convert to grams. Many soap calculators do this for us. There are approximately 28.35 grams in 1 ounce.

To make the conversion, multiply length (in inches) x width x height x .4 x 28.35 to get the grams of oil needed.

pamzsoapadventure likes this.
  12. Dec 20, 2017 #232

isha

isha

isha

@ garnet tree.. I've mentioned a simpler version of this. Hope it helps

13. Dec 20, 2017 #233

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I think mzz said it most clearly in 2012, with this:

So,
    Imperial, use 0.4
    Metric, use 0.7

Like all general rules, this one needs to be adjusted for your personal recipe.

For anyone who would like to avoid doing volume math, this link is to a straightforward volume calculator for cubic and cylindrical molds (just plug in your measurements in imperial or metric, and it will give you the volume): http://www.ifocas.org/calculator.htm

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    pamzsoapadventure and Zany_in_CO like this.
  14. Dec 20, 2017 #234

isha

isha

isha

Thanks saltfig.. That went on my bookmark immediately.. U saved a ton of brain scratching time for me

SaltedFig and Zany_in_CO like this.
  15. May 4, 2018 #235

rjuconnfan

rjuconnfan

rjuconnfan

Good info..exactly what I needed to know for my first soap. I have no idea how many molds to have ready to go when I start mixing.....I don't want to be running all over trying to find things. I only have a couple small loaf style to start but will make up a few from recycled milk containers etc. Just in case! Thanks for the post.