How to do soap with sculpted / textured tops???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
I am in search of a technique for how people make those lovely sculpted / textured tops on soap. I have attempted a few times only to have the top sort of fall during gel. Also, how do you control ash when you are not able to really cover the top very well with a sculpted top? TIA

I'm also interested in this. My husband loves the "cake frosting" look (as he calls it). I assume you bring the CP soap to a thick trace before pouring it, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

andreabadgley said:
I'm also interested in this. My husband loves the "cake frosting" look (as he calls it). I assume you bring the CP soap to a thick trace before pouring it, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.
yep that's how it's done.

As for covering it, you just have to very very lightly lay the saran over it.
And instead of putting towels on top of it to insulate I just make sure the mold is in a warm spot and put the towels around the sides and that works pretty well...

And of course always remember that soap does not have to gel to become soap. :)

IT ISnot really necessary to pour at thick trace. That may cause you to have air pockets. You can pour at medium trace and let it set in the mold for a while to thicken and then do your thing with it

I use a loaf mold and wonder what utensil you would use to get the top textured surely a spatula does not work in a loaf. Just wondering. I have been unable to achieve much texture yet I know people do get it and with a loaf mold. I wish someone who does it well would create a good tutorial as I can't find a one online. Think that's kind of funny. Also include any tips for avoiding gel.

Ilovesoap said:
I use a loaf mold and wonder what utensil you would use to get the top textured surely a spatula does not work in a loaf. Just wondering. I have been unable to achieve much texture yet I know people do get it and with a loaf mold. I wish someone who does it well would create a good tutorial as I can't find a one online. Think that's kind of funny. Also include any tips for avoiding gel.

Chopsticks work well! I bought a pack of about 50 at the dollar store.

tools for texturing soap tops; i let the soap thicken up in the mold some before i do this.

spatula ( think frosting a cake) or knife. or back of a spoon
whisk lightly swirl it around the thickened soap
a fork will give you furrows

bubble wrap not only gives you a honeycomb look but also covers the soap so you don't get ashy tops.

the pointy end of a chopstick or a toothpick run down the middle of a dot of colored soap on your top will give you cute longated heart shapes

Barb said:
tools for texturing soap tops; i let the soap thicken up in the mold some before i do this.

spatula ( think frosting a cake) or knife. or back of a spoon
whisk lightly swirl it around the thickened soap
a fork will give you furrows

bubble wrap not only gives you a honeycomb look but also covers the soap so you don't get ashy tops.

the pointy end of a chopstick or a toothpick run down the middle of a dot of colored soap on your top will give you cute longated heart shapes

These are awesome tips - thanks Barb!

If you pour less into the mold, so that the swirly top is even with the top of the mold, you can fully cover the mold without disturbing the top.

Back