How to discard this terrible soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayosusa

Reaction score
Tried to make a batch of castile soap yesterday and my stick blender burnt out before trace. I poured into molds anyway, wrapped in blankets and now it is still extremely soft. I think I should just discard it but do not want to put anything in our common trash that could be dangerous. How can I safely discard this? P.S. Did lots of reading last night on stickblending!!!! TIA

Tried to make a batch of castile soap yesterday and my stick blender burnt out before trace. I poured into molds anyway, wrapped in blankets and now it is still extremely soft. I think I should just discard it but do not want to put anything in our common trash that could be dangerous. How can I safely discard this? P.S. Did lots of reading last night on stickblending!!!! TIA
I’d wait a while before discarding it as OO soap can take a while (a week) to harden.

If it’s 100% OO with no additives (like salt and citric acid) it needs many months to fully cure and turn into a fabulous soap.

You might also want to change the lye concentration on your next batch to speed saponification.Try a lye concentration of 33% or higher and soap warm at 110*F.

Putting soap in your regular garbage bin is perfectly safe.

I agree, give it time. I read your other post and the fact your batter had started to get thick leads me to believe it was emulsified and thats all you really need for a successful batch.

My Castile took almost a week to unmold and I did a 40% lye concentration at 125F-130F. It never reached a real trace either. Besides a bit too much of a SF it’s a lovely bar but needs more cure time. It’s only been about 3ish months maybe.

This is why I always hot process it, in an slowcooker. After about 5 minutes of stickblending it comes to trace, and can be further stick blended until it gets to thick pudding consistency if your stickblender can handle it. If poured off at this stage the top can be gently textured and when batch cools and reaches something that looks and feels like cheddar cheese, it can be cut and laid out for curing. as it cures it lightens to a creamy colour and the longer the cure, the better the soap. 12 months ideally! If you want to keep going with the cook so you can use it sooner, you will need to hot process it until gel stage is reached..and its a bit too complicated to explain here, and remember that when uncured this bar will be slimy when wet.
You can finish the "cooking to gel" in the mould or in the crockpot.

Latest posts

Back