How to differentiate soaps for testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a number of different recipes and am planning on keeping the size & shape consistent for each. I need a way to differentiate the soaps without altering or "disrupting" the recipe. I was thinking of trying to color them somehow but I've never tried coloring soap other than white with TD.

I did but some food coloring at the grocery store (the real small plastic bottles, probably 1/4-1/2oz each). I know how to make different colors/shades with it, but don't know if these will work or if there is a better way to differentiate them. I don't want the coloring sticking to hands or body though.

If food coloring is added, should I just add it to the lye solution or FO/EO's at the end?

I also have candle coloring wax which is super concentrated. I would think that this could be used like beeswax in very small percentages to give a little color to the batch.

What do my fellow members think?

You can use some frosting colorants, found in the baking aisle at Michael's, etc. They do contain glycerin and sugar, though, so it will alter your recipe a bit.

I have found beta carotene to be a very relatiable colorant. You have to cut open the capsule and squeeze it out, though - surprisingly raw soap won't dissolve the capsule! Another option is to use cocoa powder, or some instant coffee dissolved in hot water. I am just not sure if these will change the soap, though.

Maybe go for something simple, like trimming off a corner? So maybe soap 1 has 1 corner trimmed, soap 2 has 2 corners trimmed, etc.

I did that once and chose to use differently colored small inserts. The soap insert was small enough to be insignificant as far as affecting the qualities. This way the marker stayed until the soap is gone.

I happened to have lots or soap rectangular inserts at the time, but they can be made by cutting some of the less popular soaps you may have.

I just write the name of soap on small piece of paper. Place it in container u are curing soap in. Recipe 1-Recipe 2 and etc

If you really want testers to remain as unbiased as possible, I don't recommend using an overall color to differentiate your different soaps. It is far too easy to let color influence one's perceptions.

Latest posts

Back