How to deal with excess moisture!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie95!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Rosie here.
I was hoping to get some advice, so I make soap and some of them have dried herbs on top, such as lavender, rose and chamomile. From my understanding if stored correctly the herbs should not go mouldy and should last a few years, however, my soaps have started to grow mould on the herbs which ain't good. I've tried to cool the room down with a fan, I have a humidifier, and I have now brought the gel packs to try and absorb moisture.

Do you think it would be safe to add the gel packs into the soap packaging to keep out the excess moisture? Or any other recommendations?

Thank you

Hi Rosie, I answered you in another post about the gel packs. I do hope you mean a dehumidifier and not a humidifier. I really can't help you on the flowers. Because I am allergic to lavender and calendula, I just refuse to use flowers. If I am allergic to these others could be allergic to the ones I am not. I'm not sure on the water percentage that you use but you could always try to lower your ratio. I personally wouldn't add gel packs to the packaging but then I am one that uses the longer cure time.

Hi Rosie, I answered you in another post about the gel packs. I do hope you mean a dehumidifier and not a humidifier. I really can't help you on the flowers. Because I am allergic to lavender and calendula, I just refuse to use flowers. If I am allergic to these others could be allergic to the ones I am not. I'm not sure on the water percentage that you use but you could always try to lower your ratio. I personally wouldn't add gel packs to the packaging but then I am one that uses the longer cure time.
Yes I did mean a dehumidifier! My mistake. Ok, I normally cure the soap for about 5 weeks and then a pack them, the actual soap itself was perfect, it was just the herbs that went bad. So I'm thinking I may have to change some things.
Thank you, I appreciate your help x

...if stored correctly the herbs should not go mouldy and should last a few years, however, my soaps have started to grow mould on the herb...

Mold and discoloration is an unavoidable hazard of this practice.

Soap contains glycerin which will attract moisture to the surface of the soap even after the soap is well cured. Even if you cure or store your soaps in a dry environment to prevent molding while the soap is in your workshop, that's no guarantee the decor won't mold when the soap is placed in the open air in someone's bath. If you're selling or giving soap to others, is that a risk you want to take?

On top of that, it's a well known fact that the alkaline (high pH) nature of soap will cause lavender buds to turn dark and look like mouse poo. Other types of leaves and petals often turn dark and unappetizing as well. The one petal I know (there may be others I'm not aware of) of that doesn't darken when used in or on soap is calendula, but even calendula can get moldy.

The general rule is to not load up the top of soap with petals, leaves, buds, oatmeal, or other types of food. And it's just as bad an idea to add large pieces of botanical or food material (rolled oats) IN the soap, for the same reasons.

I know soap decorated with petals, leaves and buds looks dreamy and romantic on freshly made soap, but I don't see a lot of photos of this same soap after a few months have passed. I think older soap would tell a different tale.

This type of decor is not a practical idea in the long run due to the risk of mold and unappetizing color changes.

Mold and discoloration is an unavoidable hazard of this practice.

Soap contains glycerin which will attract moisture to the surface of the soap even after the soap is well cured. Even if you cure or store your soaps in a dry environment to prevent molding while the soap is in your workshop, that's no guarantee the decor won't mold when the soap is placed in the open air in someone's bath. If you're selling or giving soap to others, is that a risk you want to take?

On top of that, it's a well known fact that the alkaline (high pH) nature of soap will cause lavender buds to turn dark and look like mouse poo. Other types of leaves and petals often turn dark and unappetizing as well. The one petal I know (there may be others I'm not aware of) of that doesn't darken when used in or on soap is calendula, but even calendula can get moldy.

The general rule is to not load up the top of soap with petals, leaves, buds, oatmeal, or other types of food. And it's just as bad an idea to add large pieces of botanical or food material (rolled oats) IN the soap, for the same reasons.

I know soap decorated with petals, leaves and buds looks dreamy and romantic on freshly made soap, but I don't see a lot of photos of this same soap after a few months have passed. I think older soap would tell a different tale.

This type of decor is not a practical idea in the long run due to the risk of mold and unappetizing color changes.
Thank you I really appreciate this feedback, this is very useful. I will take note of what you said x

Back