How to cure soaps with different fragrances

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Sage Soapers, I need your wisdom. I've scoured the forum and haven't been able to find answers to my questions so am starting this new thread. Here's the scoop: I am wanting to create a wide variety of soaps with a wide variety of essential oils and fragrances. Say, 2 different scent batches every day for a couple of weeks. A lot of soap! What I need help with is curing fragrance management. Do I need to take special precautions in how I store my bars to cure so that the peppermint basil doesn't change the sent of the lavender chamomile (for example. I've got a wide choice of fragrances)? Do batches need to be separated during curing, and if they do, by how much space? Inches? Feet? Separate shelves? Separate areas of a room? If I store them all on shelves 6-inches apart, for example, will the bars end up smelling like a combination of all the fragrances or will they keep the integrity of the fragrances used in the batch? Any help, advice, and recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I don't make nearly that much soap, but I've not had any issues curing different fragrances on the same rack with millimetres between them - just not touching, basically. The room smells like a mixture of them all, but after curing the individual fragrances seem to be as expected.

Others might have different experiences. If you're concerned, it might be worth doing an experiment with a few individual bars in close proximity to eachother.

I've never had an issue and I often have several different fragrances on the same tray.

I tend to store soap with similar scents together if possible. Even if the soap itself doesn't absorb the "foreign" fragrance, the packaging might after the bars are packaged.

So I'd not put a floral fragrance in the same container with pine tar soap. But I might store the pine tar with a woodsy-spicy fragrance instead.

I don't make nearly that much soap, but I've not had any issues curing different fragrances on the same rack with millimetres between them - just not touching, basically. The room smells like a mixture of them all, but after curing the individual fragrances seem to be as expected.

Others might have different experiences. If you're concerned, it might be worth doing an experiment with a few individual bars in close proximity to eachother.
Thanks so much. That's really helpful.

I tend to store soap with similar scents together if possible. Even if the soap itself doesn't absorb the "foreign" fragrance, the packaging might after the bars are packaged.

So I'd not put a floral fragrance in the same container with pine tar soap. But I might store the pine tar with a woodsy-spicy fragrance instead.
Nice! I'll do that, store similar scents together. I'm hoping to use a single rack, so perhaps florals at the top, woodsy at the bottom, and fruity in the middle. Great idea! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back