How to copy or copy new or create a copy of a saved recipe without losing it?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by earlene, May 26, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 26, 2019 #1

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I can't seem to figure out from one day to the next how to do this.

I want to copy an existing recipe and make a couple of minor (or major, as I choose, when necessary) and then save the new recipe as a NEW recipe without losing the original recipe. I thought I could do this from the recipe and use the Save New button, but the recipe didn't get saved when I tried it about 15 minutes ago. I'm wondering if the steps must be followed in a particular order that I am just not grasping.

I know there are all kinds of buttons for copy, edit, load and different things, but I can't seem to figure this out.

Please provide some sort of step by step instruction on how to copy a recipe and save it as a different recipe while still keeping the original recipe in the list of My Recipes.

Please provide instructions on what Load Recipe does and how to use it.

Thank you. I know there is a whole lot of work developing software and that it is very time intensive. I really do appreciate how much work you are doing to create this and it is really fabulous what you are doing.

Serene likes this.
  2. May 29, 2019 #2

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Earline,
    thank for your help testing and reporting all issues ..
    when you load a recipe and edit it .. you will get two options update / save new
    if you update .. it will update the existing recipe ..
    if you save new there are two cases
    - if you already changed the recipe name .. it will be saved as a new recipe
    - if you kept the original name it will ask you to rename ( to save new ) or overwrite the existing recipe .

This is how it is working now

I have 2 questions now ..
    1 - is it working as designed or not ? ( if it is not working please describe some steps to reproduce )
    2 - what do you suggest to make this less confusing ?

3. May 29, 2019 #3

earlene

earlene

earlene

Thank you, SoapmakingFriend. I will get on this sometime today. I have a couple of things I need to finish first, so it may be after the Post Office closes here.

Earlene

4. May 29, 2019 #4

earlene

earlene

earlene

Yes, save & rename function is working as you describe, although it doesn't actually say it will overwrite the existing recipe if I don't rename it. AND, it is still causing some problems with the renaming process.

1. If I move my mouse away from the edit box for the recipe name, it doesn't save.
    2. If I click back into the box, I can't edit the name.
    3. If I hit the backspace key on my computer while in the recipe name to edit (after leaving box and coming back) backspace won't erase letters in the recipe name, rather takes the browser back to the previous page. By making the backspace key act as GO BACK in the browser, all new information added to the intended 'new' recipe is lost. This has happened several times while trying to figure out how to rename the recipe from the Rename This Recipe button on the pop-up.

Save New_003.JPG

To make renaming less confusing, it might help if the box that says Update xxx (name of currently opened recipe) is not whited out. The two boxes that appear in the pop-up are two different colors and that is part of the confusion, I think. But if you read the rest of my logic, I don't think they are even necessary.

Save New_001.JPG

The other thing that adds to this confusion is that the Update button and the Save New button on the bottom should be enough. If I want to update the recipe rather than make a copy, I should choose the Update on the bottom, rather than Save New.

Save New_002.JPG

Having to choose again on the pop-up doesn't make sense to me. Asking me if I want to Save New or Update in the pop-up is redundant and confusing.

So really, I think it would be less confusing if you eliminated those buttons in the pop-up altogether.
    If you changed the pop-up to ask, "Are you Sure?" then the user can choose Yes or No that would provide that fail-safe and Yes would take the user to the Recipe name if it needs to be updated, or just save the recipe with the new name if it was already entered.

One more thing about Editing the Name for the New Recipe:

If the person does NOT edit the name, then it should simply be saved as "Copy of xxxx (name of original recipe). I noticed that if I didn't complete the edit within a certain time frame (I don't know what that time limit is, but it apparently exists), then the changes I made don't get saved and there is no new copy, even though the software says it is saving.

AND when the software takes the user to the recipe name to make the edit, the box should be a different color. This is what it looks like now (except there is a cursor where I highlighted in yellow that I cannot capture) & without instruction or some sort of highlighting, it is not obvious what is expected:
    Save New_003.JPG

Perhaps, renaming the recipe would work better if it was to say

Save as the way one saves files on a computer. So instead of Save New and then taking the user to the recipe name box to edit, it simply gave a pop-up that says "Save as" and there is a new Text entry box.

Then the default should be that it will be saved as "Copy of xxxxx (whatever the original name of the recipe was.)

I hope that was clear.

Thankyou for all your work,

Earlene

5. Jun 20, 2019 #5

xmasdeer

xmasdeer

xmasdeer

I tried the SMF calculator again today and still not getting results at all similar to my own calc or soapcalc, which both produce very similar results and soap. I spent half an hour entering and fine tuning my recipe, printed it, I was not logged in. I printed the recipe to compare with my other recipes, decided it was worth a try, and then tried to save it, I was asked to log in, which I did, and when login was successful, my recipe was wiped clean.

6. Jun 20, 2019 #6

earlene

earlene

earlene

I have noticed that if I take a long time (I don't know how long is too long) I get logged out. Not sure why, but the same thing has happened to me, xmasdeer.

My work-around, until this gets fixed, is this (not ideal but it works for me):

Always have two windows open for Soap Making Friend in my browser. Do the work in one window, but before that point where it won't save or whatever (it happens at other times, too), go to the other window and make sure I'm logged in again. Then keep the first window open and try to save. If it won't save, I can see the 'saving' not advancing. It just keeps showing 'saving'. So when that happens, I start copying and pasting from the page that is not saving to the page that I just logged on that is open in the other window. I do not close the non-saving window at all. I continue the process of updating all the information in the new window until it is complete, save it and that works. BUT then I also go to My Recipes to make sure the recipe saved and view it in the window where I just logged in, to verify it is saved.

It is a hassle to have to do it this way, but it works. I have reported the issue to SoapMakingFriend (the software builder admin) and hopefully it is being addressed at some point. But in the meantime, it is a work-around that works for me.

I still don't know how long the software gives us before being automatically logged out, but it certainly isn't enough time for me, so I totally get your frustration. It happened to me several times before I realized I either needed a work-around. At first I was just backing all my recipes up in Soapee.com, but that was even more cumbersome, especially since it doesn't have as many of the really desirable features in Soap Builder.

7. Jun 20, 2019 #7

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

could you please send me a recipe and tell me what did you expect with results ?

8. Jun 20, 2019 #8

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

when you are logged in ..
    you can click load recipe
    upload_2019-6-20_20-54-24.png
    you will find your saved recipe there .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.