How to cope with 97 degree heat during outdoor market?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned out I didn't miss a 97 degree market -- It was a 108 degree market! And temps the next couple days went up to 112 and 116! Unbelievable for Portland! Just talked with someone who did the market and he said hardly anyone came out. It was a good call not to go. We'll likely get more hot weather over the next few months, but not like anything as hot as what we just had.

And here at home, we're having central air installed as I'm typing this, so I'll be ready for the next heat wave, at least inside. Getting some sleep at night will go a long way to making a hot market day go better!
:dance:

Last edited:
Turned out I didn't miss a 97 degree market -- It was a 108 degree market! And temps the next couple days went up to 112 and 116! Unbelievable for Portland! Just talked with someone who did the market and he said hardly anyone came out. It was a good call not to go. We'll like get more hot weather over the next few months, but not like anything as hot as what we just had.

And here at home, we're having central air installed as I'm typing this, so I'll be ready for the next heat wave, at least inside. Getting some sleep at night will go a long way to making a hot market day go better!
:dance:
Our market was shut down early. There were hardly any customers. I did manage to cover the cost of the table plus a bit, though, thankfully.

I've cancelled next Sunday's market as the temps will still be in the high 30's C. I just can't see people getting out when it's that hot. As an aside, we're at 111F (44C) right now, at 5:30 p.m. Sunday is supposed to go up to about 95F (35C).

The vendor event that i am signing up for doesn't allow you to break down until the event is over because they don‘t want customers to think that the whole thing is shutting down by seeing a few leaving.

This makes total sense to me. My friends own a bar/poolhall. I work 3-11, and by the time i get back to town it is 12:00. Sometimes I would stop by to catch up and have a drink or two. But i have to drive past my house, down the street, and make a u-turn back to the poolroom to get there. I stopped by once and they were closed. I went by again and the bartender was getting in her car and said that they told her to close up if it wasn't busy. So now I dont go there after work anymore. My friends/owners were upset that i havent been in there lately and i told them...i never know if you are gonna be open anymore, so i am not going out of my way (tired after work and a long drive home) to go down there to find out you are closed, when i can just go home and have a beer lol.

Now how many ppl who DON’T know you as friends will NEVER be back when the sign posted says one time, but you are closed when they get there? If i didnt KNOW them, I’d never go back...which is why its currently dead in there all the time, while the hole in the wall in the same plaza is hopping. Is the power bill that much different if you stay open the extra two hours that your sign says? Why tell them they can close if they are getting the same shift pay no matter what?

I guess this turned into a rant, but the analogy is the same LOL

The vendor event that i am signing up for doesn't allow you to break down until the event is over because they don‘t want customers to think that the whole thing is shutting down by seeing a few leaving.

This makes total sense to me. My friends own a bar/poolhall. I work 3-11, and by the time i get back to town it is 12:00. Sometimes I would stop by to catch up and have a drink or two. But i have to drive past my house, down the street, and make a u-turn back to the poolroom to get there. I stopped by once and they were closed. I went by again and the bartender was getting in her car and said that they told her to close up if it wasn't busy. So now I dont go there after work anymore. My friends/owners were upset that i havent been in there lately and i told them...i never know if you are gonna be open anymore, so i am not going out of my way (tired after work and a long drive home) to go down there to find out you are closed, when i can just go home and have a beer lol.

Now how many ppl who DON’T know you as friends will NEVER be back when the sign posted says one time, but you are closed when they get there? If i didnt KNOW them, I’d never go back...which is why its currently dead in there all the time, while the hole in the wall in the same plaza is hopping. Is the power bill that much different if you stay open the extra two hours that your sign says? Why tell them they can close if they are getting the same shift pay no matter what?

I guess this turned into a rant, but the analogy is the same LOL

In our defence, we're in an unprecedented heat wave. Temperature records that have stood for over 100 years are dropping daily. Normally, our markets don't allow us to leave early either but in this heat, safety is foremost.

I (personally) have opted out of next Sunday's market, partially because of the heat (it will start cooling down a bit tomorrow but will still be around 90F) and mostly because I'll be recuperating from a colonoscopy. The market will still be open; I just won't be there.

And now, to top it off, there are numerous wild fires in our general area. Air quality is already deteriorating. If that continues, it will be unsafe for vendors to be outdoors.

I was ranting about the bar, not anybodys stance on when to leave your market. I just understand their reasoning is all. Sorry if that wasnt clear. I know you guys are getting crazy temps up there. I am sorry.
No worries. I agree with you when it comes to a b&m business. State your hours and be open for those hours.

the thing about cooling products that melt off is that when you bring them back into the heat or sell them the condensation messes with the label, bags and even the products in some cases. I just don`t take most of my balms, lotions and salves to summer shows. I also dont ship those items from my store in the hottest parts of the year. I wonder how commercial makers do it?

the thing about cooling products that melt off is that when you bring them back into the heat or sell them the condensation messes with the label, bags and even the products in some cases. I just don`t take most of my balms, lotions and salves to summer shows. I also dont ship those items from my store in the hottest parts of the year. I wonder how commercial makers do it?
The etsy shop I buy melt and pour embeds from ships with teeny ice pack the size of a 50 cent piece. And a foil mailer. Maybe that's how they do it?

Latest posts

Back