How to choose?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
How do you choose to color and texturize your soap? Sometimes I can be creative and most times not. I also try not to color the soap what you'd think it should be like lavender-purple. Just wondering where everyone draws their inspiration from?

lol, usually from last minute :oops: I can never decide what I want. I always change it last minute and make my hubby go through my scents and find what I want or he needs to stir while I do. lol. I like stuff that looks different, fun, etc. but MY favorite soap I ever got though was thicker on one side than the other, real ragged, rough and homemade. I loved the funky uneven shape iof it. but thats me.

this one I didnt try to layer pretty, kinda Plopped the white into it and drizzeled/plopped the bright raspberry. I love different!

DSC_0016-1.jpg

pepper- Im trying a re-batch yet again today. and I cant seem to think of what to make it. my creative juices are all dried up today

Those are beautiful soaps.

How did you get that delicate lavender colour? I love it!

CupcakeKisses said:
pepper- Im trying a re-batch yet again today. and I cant seem to think of what to make it. my creative juices are all dried up today

I haven't forgotten about the tutorial. My mom was making changes to the apartment to give me a bigger soaping area! LOL But my soaps are ready and I had to wait for my order that came yesterday! So hopefully I will be able to do it this weekend!

I've decided instead of trying to be creative (since I'm not) I'm going to start coloring one color or two colors nothing crazy. Although my rebatches are sorda liquid like it still doesn't leave room for too much experimentation.

I also try not to color the soap what you'd think it should be like lavender-purple.
What color would you color a lavender scented batch?

well, I tried the rebatch today. I made it peppermint (EO) and ground dried peppermint from my garden. It looked like I did it right. I weighed out 2lbs but it came out to maybe 1 1/2. didnt fill my 2lb mold. but it was in the Crock pot (on high) for an hour maybe. I added about 1 3/4 oz of oil and 2 tbs water. and stirred every 10-15mins. It was a thick pudding or oatmeal consistency. so I hope that is right. sure looked better than my last 2 tries! I guess I'll see tomorrow!

pepperi27 said:
How do you choose to color and texturize your soap?

I spend alot of time on this one. :lol: If it is a dupe, I am often influenced by the commercial color. Other times I close my eyes and sniff the scent to see what color it "smells" like or what color comes to mind.

If the scent is ozone, water type, I usually go blues and/or white. Florals are typically reds, pinks, purples, white and so forth. The herbals lean towards green.

And at times, the color I mean for it to be is faaarrrr from what it turns out to be. :roll:

Digit

I actually have a notebook (well, about 10 of them now) filled with color combination for all of my scents. I plan my next 10 batches at a time with the colors to match the scent combination. A dupe is influenced by the color of the bottle or box of the original.

Anything with vanilla that I know will turn brown will get either a blind swirl or is swirled with a color that compliments one of the fragrance notes (ie Vanilla Mint would be naturally colors with a green swirl, etc.) This helps so that my soaps stay consistent and I can repeat my colors with each batch so that I am not constantly taking new pictures.

Tabitha said:
I also try not to color the soap what you'd think it should be like lavender-purple.
What color would you color a lavender scented batch?

I've seen people color lavender pink purple or no color at all. I guess I try to be creative but I suck at it LOL

zajanatural said:
I actually have a notebook (well, about 10 of them now) filled with color combination for all of my scents. I plan my next 10 batches at a time with the colors to match the scent combination. A dupe is influenced by the color of the bottle or box of the original.

Anything with vanilla that I know will turn brown will get either a blind swirl or is swirled with a color that compliments one of the fragrance notes (ie Vanilla Mint would be naturally colors with a green swirl, etc.) This helps so that my soaps stay consistent and I can repeat my colors with each batch so that I am not constantly taking new pictures.

That is hard for me. I made eucalyptus/spearmint first with poppyseeds only and left it white, then I colored it green with shavings of white. Now I want to color green with poppyseeds? I can never decide on one thing. I made eucalyptus/spearmint with mp soap and left it white with poppyseeds and it looked better cause it was pure white? All I'm saying is I need to stop going nuts trying to reinvent the color/texture and stick with what works.

digit said:
pepperi27 said:
How do you choose to color and texturize your soap?

I spend alot of time on this one. :lol: If it is a dupe, I am often influenced by the commercial color. Other times I close my eyes and sniff the scent to see what color it "smells" like or what color comes to mind.

If the scent is ozone, water type, I usually go blues and/or white. Florals are typically reds, pinks, purples, white and so forth. The herbals lean towards green.

And at times, the color I mean for it to be is faaarrrr from what it turns out to be. :roll:

Digit

I'm right there with you!

pepperi27 said:
I made eucalyptus/spearmint first with poppyseeds only and left it white, then I colored it green with shavings of white. Now I want to color green with poppyseeds? I can never decide on one thing. I made eucalyptus/spearmint with mp soap and left it white with poppyseeds and it looked better cause it was pure white? All I'm saying is I need to stop going nuts trying to reinvent the color/texture and stick with what works.

I think the one I have is mitey purdy. :D

I have a white soap I put blue poppy seeds in. It looks great. But I think now more suited as a garden soap. It is scrubby, really scrubby. :lol:

Digit

well i'm of no help, as mine rarely come out like i planned. especially the first time i make a new scent.

notes are the key to consistancy. i jot them as i go otherwise i tend not to remember all the details the next day. pictures of the finished product are always a plus. i keep notebooks which contain that info for each batch.

My inspiration comes out of my cupboards and fridge. I work with juices and milks of every sort. I also love to work with fresh fruits and veggies too! All hand made soap is beautiful. It all has character!

Back