How to choose a fragrance oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will add mine

Oatmeal, milk and honey (well behaved)
Karen's ocean rain (mild acceleration)
New mown hay (well behaved)
Sandalwood (mixed with Masculine Musk moderate acceleration)
Lavender breeze (well behaved)
Clean Type (really amazing)
Grapefruit ginger (well behaved)
True Rose (seized)
Worlds best magnolia (out of control ricing)

My recipe has a lot of hard oils so that certainly didn't help.
Forgot about oatmeal milk and honey, clean (type)
Is worlds best magnolia new? Lavender breeze. That new also? I haven’t looked at the site in many moons.‘what does lavender breeze smell like? I’ll trade you 2oz shementov lavender for lavender breeze if you’re game

Hi there! I am relatively new to soap making. I have had some wonderful batches and some puddings that were nearly useless. I believe that fragrance oils are my biggest issue (I blend around 75-80 degrees and I use the stick blender sparingly).

My question is: How do you know you're choosing a FO that doesn't accelerate the trace and give a good working time? Are some scents generally faster than others or is it all source?

Many companies have reviews, but I tend to take them with a grain of salt because of the differences in ingredients and temperatures.

What I have learned to do is to buy a small amount, trial or 1 oz, and then make a small test batch. If it goes well, blessed be the soap gods. If it doesn’t, then I’m only out a few bucks.

Last edited:
@Greggooo First of all, welcome to the Forum!
When you have a minute, please read the following:

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

HOW I TEST FRAGRANCE

This is a long one but worth reading. It is entertaining and will save you time and $$$$ when first starting out to make soap:

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO YOUR BEGINNING SELF?

While Sweet Cake Fragrances are very nice they are also very expensive, the same as The Sage which has very nice fragrances that are also very nice but costly.
Spot on! Luv MMS and Sweetcakes but I rarely use either of those companies any more because they promote the scent without supplying basic info about how their FOs perform. Frustrating really.
I had luck with is from New Jersey called Shemen or ShemenTov. Their lemon verbena is scrumptious as is their lavender.
I've been looking for a good Lemon Verbena & Lavender FO since 'forever'! Thank you for sharing! :videovisit:
Many companies have reviews, but I tend to take them with a grain of salt because of the differences in ingredients and temperatures.
:thumbs: :thumbs: Well said!!

Forgot about oatmeal milk and honey, clean (type)
Is worlds best magnolia new? Lavender breeze. That new also? I haven’t looked at the site in many moons.‘what does lavender breeze smell like? I’ll trade you 2oz shementov lavender for lavender breeze if you’re game

They change up their fragrance oils occasionally. Lavender breeze is a clean laundry smell, I don't really get the lavender in it. Thanks for the offer but I'm actually out of that scent, I've been using it as a room spray.

Some companies do not allow the posting of "negative" reviews. If the company itself did not test the Fragrance, then you'll have to rely on the customer reviews. These reviews might not be relevant if the company does but allow negative reviews.

Micas and more is a small fragrance company that tests all her fragrances before stocking them. She won't stock a naughty fragrance. Plus, MOST of her fragrances have none to minor discoloration.

She has some excellent fragrances, good pricing, and quick ship. Definitely worth checking out for a no hassle shopping experience... Don't forget to get your "free soap sample" of a new or upcoming fragrance release.

There simply is not one company better than the other when it comes to fragrance performance, which is why it is best to read the customer reviews and purchase samples in order to test a fragrance such as floral, water type, and spicy. Of course, that is not all the type of fragrances that can cause problems such as acceleration and pricing. This is a do what I say not as I do recommendation. I never purchased less than a lb and never took the time to test or at least very seldom, because I just did not have the patience. I will rescind a little of what I just said, I did test fragrances for California Candle Supply for a couple of years.

I happen to like a lot of Natures Garden fragrances and the prices are good. While Sweet Cake Fragrances are very nice they are also very expensive, the same as The Sage which has very nice fragrances that are also very nice but costly.
I feel better after reading your post as I’m afraid my patience is low too and tend to not want to reorder a week later if I like it, and will just try to make the best of it if I don’t like it. I think I learn from plunging ahead. My life story… But I’m not at the level where I would think of ordering a pound yet. Getting braver for 8 oz.

I feel better after reading your post as I’m afraid my patience is low too and tend to not want to reorder a week later if I like it, and will just try to make the best of it if I don’t like it. I think I learn from plunging ahead. My life story… But I’m not at the level where I would think of ordering a pound yet. Getting braver for 8 oz.

When I test my fragrances, and yes, I do test, my testing lasts for many months. I want to know how the fragrance acts during soap making, but I also want to confirm that the fragrance will stick well pass the 6 month mark. With me... There is no turn around and order a bigger bottle in a week. I can't tell you how many fragrances that I've tested that lost their scent in the 90 to 120 day mark.

When I test my fragrances, and yes, I do test, my testing lasts for many months. I want to know how the fragrance acts during soap making, but I also want to confirm that the fragrance will stick well pass the 6 month mark. With me... There is no turn around and order a bigger bottle in a week. I can't tell you how many fragrances that I've tested that lost their scent in the 90 to 120 day mark.
I haven’t sold any soaps other than to a few friends and friends of friends who have insisted they pay for them . I have soaps I’ve kept for three years to check the scent and color. I have new soaps I’m ready to start selling that I’ve had for 6 months and longer. The ones that have lost their scent or have colors that morphed I have donated or just given to friends. I guess what I meant was , I just don’t have the patience to buy 1 ounce . Now that I have a lot of soaps built up , I feel more comfortable selling to people I don’t know. I just don’t have the patience for one ounce to make.. but again, I buy maybe 4-8 oz depending on reviews and you all , but not more. I’m so paranoid to make sure it’s the best I can make, that I’ve taken my time and make the same thing more than once to test. I just thought maybe I was weird because I have little patience to buy just 1 ounce. I think , is that wasteful if it smells bad, or doesn’t last? But, if it doesn’t, I can give it to family , friends, or donate. (Much to my husband’s chagrin when he uses one he has dubbed “ urinal cake”. )When I read @cmzaha post , it gave me some relief as I applied it to the ounce part.. I’m ADHD, so no patience for 1 ounce, but a lot of patience to test and wait to see how it works, because I can move on while it sits. That goes with colors too. I did a couple of years with ‘natural colors and EOs before moving on to micas and FOs. I’m in it for the trial and error but my brain has to do it all right now. I compare myself and what I want to accomplish to all off you who are artists and proud of wanting the best. I hope that explains my post better. Actually I think this was a bit of therapy for me 😂
ETA I know what you mean about turn around.. I bought cotton candy FO from the Sage and thought my grand daughter would love it. It smelled great! 6 weeks later the scent is very faint. I mailed it today and told my daughter it doesn’t smell as strong. She told me not to worry as the soap was shaped like a kitten from a mold my daughter had sent me. I bought 4 ounces, I will not be buying it again. However, I have 11 grandchildren and lots of molds 😂

Last edited:
I haven’t sold any soaps other than to a few friends and friends of friends who have insisted they pay for them . I have soaps I’ve kept for three years to check the scent and color. I have new soaps I’m ready to start selling that I’ve had for 6 months and longer. The ones that have lost their scent or have colors that morphed I have donated or just given to friends. I guess what I meant was , I just don’t have the patience to buy 1 ounce . Now that I have a lot of soaps built up , I feel more comfortable selling to people I don’t know. I just don’t have the patience for one ounce to make.. but again, I buy maybe 4-8 oz depending on reviews and you all , but not more. I’m so paranoid to make sure it’s the best I can make, that I’ve taken my time and make the same thing more than once to test. I just thought maybe I was weird because I have little patience to buy just 1 ounce. I think , is that wasteful if it smells bad, or doesn’t last? But, if it doesn’t, I can give it to family , friends, or donate. (Much to my husband’s chagrin when he uses one he has dubbed “ urinal cake”. )When I read @cmzaha post , it gave me some relief as I applied it to the ounce part.. I’m ADHD, so no patience for 1 ounce, but a lot of patience to test and wait to see how it works, because I can move on while it sits. That goes with colors too. I did a couple of years with ‘natural colors and EOs before moving on to micas and FOs. I’m in it for the trial and error but my brain has to do it all right now. I compare myself and what I want to accomplish to all off you who are artists and proud of wanting the best. I hope that explains my post better. Actually I think this was a bit of therapy for me 😂
ETA I know what you mean about turn around.. I bought cotton candy FO from the Sage and thought my grand daughter would love it. It smelled great! 6 weeks later the scent is very faint. I mailed it today and told my daughter it doesn’t smell as strong. She told me not to worry as the soap was shaped like a kitten from a mold my daughter had sent me. I bought 4 ounces, I will not be buying it again. However, I have 11 grandchildren and lots of molds 😂
Sounds very similar to me and what I do! I do buy the 1 ounce, but that is because I like to test 20 to 30 fragrances at a time.

Over the summer my testing batch size was 50 fragrances split from mainly 3 different companies. I make just 1 bar of each fragrance and then wait... And wait... And wait! I get ripping mad when the manufacturers discontinue a fragrance after I've invested all this time into the testing.

Sounds very similar to me and what I do! I do buy the 1 ounce, but that is because I like to test 20 to 30 fragrances at a time.

Over the summer my testing batch size was 50 fragrances split from mainly 3 different companies. I make just 1 bar of each fragrance and then wait... And wait... And wait! I get ripping mad when the manufacturers discontinue a fragrance after I've invested all this time into the testing.
WOW!!! Ok, now I actually might could do that! 20-30 fragrances at a time??!! I hadn’t thought of that. Making one bar… I have the 1 pound size .. that was frustrating. Either make enough to give or something.. I dunno. But I could do many one bars! And yes, I get being frustrated with it being discontinued. That’s why EOs are nice but they have their own set of challenges. Thanks so much for the idea. I do have several one bar molds I bought last year! You have helped more than therapy lol!!

I donate to homeless shelters. They love the small size - like 2 to 3 ounces that small of my molds produce. I also donate to a woman's shelter. They enjoy the pampering of homemade soap.

I donate to homeless shelters. They love the small size - like 2 to 3 ounces that small of my molds produce. I also donate to a woman's shelter. They enjoy the pampering of homemade soap.
I love that. I’ve mentioned before on other posts , but I send to my grandson in the military to share with his fellow troops. He just got back from a deployment from Saudi and Kuwait. Now I can send them to his base. He’s stationed at Fort Bliss and is one of the assigned troops to be with the Afghan refugees. I won’t even get into that. Anyway, the soap goes over well with his buds! Military is another option for a good soap! They have a lot of skin issues .

Back