how to calculate amount of eo to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got an order from a customer for candles scented with bay (leaf) oil (laurus nobilis). Is there a site that gives recommended amount to use for candles; safety and scent throw? I use coconut wax, but any general eo calculator for candles would be great!

TheSage.com has gel and wax candles listed in its fragrance calculator. It does give the safety amounts for various EOs, but doesn't list that particular EO, and doesn't give any info about scent throw, either.

I've only dabbled in candles, so hopefully one of the more experienced candle makers here can help. It would be great to find a resource with this info!

The candle I made with bay oil smelled like some kind of motor fuel while burning, so I didn't pursue it. Even the scent O.O.B. is an acquired taste, but my friend loves it. I made rosemary candles for him instead.

TheSage.com has gel and wax candles listed in its fragrance calculator. It does give the safety amounts for various EOs, but doesn't list that particular EO, and doesn't give any info about scent throw, either.

I've only dabbled in candles, so hopefully one of the more experienced candle makers here can help. It would be great to find a resource with this info!

That calculator only has FOs, not EOs, right?

I looked up Rosemary EO and the site said that Rosemary is not recommended for candles. Other sites give usage recommendations and sell candles scented with Rosemary EO. I wonder why TheSage says no?

Wish I could help more, but that's way out of my league. I've only made a candles a couple of times and they were super basic!

ETA: I do know that it's not recommended to diffuse rosemary around anyone who has epilepsy, because it can be a seizure trigger. Maybe that is why they don't recommend it?

Back