How to best clean my olive oil bucket?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found an independent local olive oil producer who is willing to give me (!!!) about 18 liters of olive oil. I have a bucket with a hermetically seal-able lid that was previously only used for olive oil. How can I make sure it's clean enough for this new oil? Wash well with soap and hot water? Disinfect with alcohol? If alcohol, is 70% okay? Can I use a clean alcohol-soaked rag to clean the inside of the bucket - or is spraying it on better? This amount of oil will probably be in the bucket for quite a few months (I'm a hobbyist soap maker.)

Lots and lots of both dish soap and hot water is the best way to clean out greasy stuff in my experience;)

Thanks for your responses! After it's been cleaned with soap and water, do I need to also disinfect with alcohol? Or will soap and water make it clean enough to store the new oil in?

I'm not sure that it's absolutely necessary, but it certainly won't hurt to disinfect it with alcohol. If it were me, I'd do it, but I'm picky about things like that.

IrishLass :)

no, 91% is SOOO much better. That is what I use to wipe off my soap table after every soap made or spill or anything. 70% you have to do it a couple times to get it totally oil free.

no, 91% is SOOO much better. That is what I use to wipe off my soap table after every soap made or spill or anything. 70% you have to do it a couple times to get it totally oil free.
The information at the link is specific to disinfection, with 70% being more effective for killing nasties. I haven’t tried it, but I can imagine that 91% is the better solvent for cleaning anything that will dissolve in alcohol.

I have found an independent local olive oil producer who is willing to give me (!!!) about 18 liters of olive oil. I have a bucket with a hermetically seal-able lid that was previously only used for olive oil. How can I make sure it's clean enough for this new oil? Wash well with soap and hot water? Disinfect with alcohol? If alcohol, is 70% okay? Can I use a clean alcohol-soaked rag to clean the inside of the bucket - or is spraying it on better? This amount of oil will probably be in the bucket for quite a few months (I'm a hobbyist soap maker.)

I use an orange based degreaser that I got from the Dollar Store for my initial cleaning; it really cuts through all the oils/butters. Then I wash with Dawn dish soap as normal. You don't HAVE to disinfect, but it doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back