How to avoid frosting in pillar candle? and other trouble shooting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I recently want to try my hand at making candles. I ordered some glass jars to try making container candle but I definitely the possibilities with pillar candles.
I made 4 test batches using palm wax, beeswax, soy wax and stearic acid. The beeswax and palm wax turned out as I expected but both soy wax candles has serious frosting on the surface.
1.jpg
2.jpg

As you can see the picture, the orange one I'm currently burning is 100% soy wax, while the blue one is 90% soy wax+ stearic acid.
I used the same acrylic pillar mold for these, poured them at 60c (140F). The mold was not preheated since it's acrylic. I brushed the mold with a very thin layer of mineral oil to help unmolding before pouring.
Is there anything I can do to help reduce the frosting? I read it's mostly cosmetic and I don't mind.
Also, I 've been having these channels(?) forming when burning pillar candles so there had been a lot of dropping and makes the candle burn faster. Is this a normal ocurrence? I wicked as centered as I can and placed the candle away from the wind. Can it be because my candle is burning too hot and I need to up my stearic acid content? Change my wick to a smaller size?
3.jpg

Latest posts

Back