How To Adjust The PH Level

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Hi,
So back with more questions. In my town there is no one really selling baby and kid friendly products, so I thought great there is a gap in the market now I need to figure out how to fill it. I have a Castile soap but its about a 9.0 PH. I was researching and saw baby and toddler soaps should be around 5.5, especially baby soaps. So is there a way to bring down the PH in the soap without destroying the beneficial nature of Castile soap? Also proabably going to have to dot he same with the goats milk soap too.

In a word, no. You cannot adjust the pH of ANY true lye-based soap below about 9, if you want the soap to still remain soap. Below that, the soap decomposes into fatty acids and isn't soap anymore.

A 100% olive oil soap (the classic definition of a castile) should have a pH closer to 10.5 to 11. If you're talking about a modern "castile" soap, meaning soap made with all vegetable oils, the pH is likely to be somewhat lower than that. But still no lower than 9.

If you want a cleanser that has an acidic pH -- the 5.5 you mention -- you'll need to use synthetic detergents to get that. Most (but not all) syndets have an acidic pH.

In a word, no. You cannot adjust the pH of ANY true lye-based soap below about 9, if you want the soap to still remain soap. Below that, the soap decomposes into fatty acids and isn't soap anymore.

A 100% olive oil soap (the classic definition of a castile) should have a pH closer to 10.5 to 11. If you're talking about a modern "castile" soap, meaning soap made with all vegetable oils, the pH is likely to be somewhat lower than that. But still no lower than 9.

If you want a cleanser that has an acidic pH -- the 5.5 you mention -- you'll need to use synthetic detergents to get that. Most (but not all) syndets have an acidic pH.

Ok, thank you good information. So slightly off topic, but if Castile soap and I am assuming goats milk too, are such a high PH why are they recommended for babies when babies need a ph balanced soap?

I'm not sure who "they" are in your comment, so I can't comment on the validity of that advice. What I've read here is that many people don't use any type of cleanser, soap or syndet, to bathe very young children -- just warm water. But I'll defer to others who know more than I do on the latest thinking about the best way to bathe babies.

They are the good old folks of the internet lol. I did a lot of reading of articles, blog posts and health advice, not just a few mums group posts, but actually a few days of googling and reading pages and pages of stuff about baby soaps.

I would recommend that you consult actual pediatricians in your area of New Zealand if you want recommendations on what is safe to use on babies. Or perhaps within a certain age group. You could create soap for children versus soap for babies, based on recommendations from local pediatricians or midwives, if midwives are common in your area.

Back