How to Add Liquid Germall Plus?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been using this lotion recipe since I was a teenager. It makes a nice, thick cream that works very well for me. I never thought to look into lotion making any deeper, except to make water free balms. But I now know that my lotion needs a preservative. How exactly do I go about adding liquid Germall Plus?

I will heat and hold the two phases, and add it once the temperature is low enough. But how much should I use, and do I need to add anything else?

I've been reading online to try to figure it out, but haven't been successful. I even got a book on Kindle about making homemade skin care products, and they don't use preservative of any kind. 🙄

This is the recipe I use: How to Make an Easy Handmade Lotion | Using only 4 ingredients

1 1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup emulsifying wax
1/4 cup olive oil (I usually use sweet almond oil)
24 drops lavender essential oil

I appreciate any help or resources. I've found lots of recipes online, but I don't have most of the specialty oils they call for. Thanks in advance!

Recommended usage for Liquid Germall Plus is 0.1% to 0.5% of the total weight of the recipe. Add it at 122*F or lower temp. Adding at a higher temp. will result in compromising the effectiveness of the preservative.
The Swiftcraftymonkey blog and Humblebee & Me are both great resources. Here is a link for super simple lotion: Super Simple Moisturizing Lotion - Humblebee & Me

Recommended usage for Liquid Germall Plus is 0.1% to 0.5% of the total weight of the recipe. Add it at 122*F or lower temp. Adding at a higher temp. will result in compromising the effectiveness of the preservative.
The Swiftcraftymonkey blog and Humblebee & Me are both great resources. Here is a link for super simple lotion: Super Simple Moisturizing Lotion - Humblebee & Me
Thank you! I like the Humblebee & me recipe. I will definitely look into that blog. I couldn't figure out if there were any free articles on Swiftcraftymonkey, and since I don't do much lotion I didn't want to pay yet.

Back