How often do you change your soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymy

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I bet most of us here have so many of lovely cured soaps that are ready to be used, but, do you jump from one soap to another or do you just stick with one soap till it's gone? I wonder if it's okay to keep changing soap frequently. Any insights?

I am incredibly OCD about my soap - I have a rotation in the shower so that all soap gets equal usage... until one gets to the point where it's almost to an unusable sliver and no longer stays on the soap rack, then I HAVE use that one exclusively until it's to the sliver stage. I put all my slivers into a 2" muslin bag. When the bag is full, then I tie the bag closed and use it as a soap scrubbie. I also have a rotation for the shoe boxes filled with soap... I might have a problem with not just making soap, but buying soap from other people...

I normally use one bar until it is just a sliver, then I stick that to the top of the next bar. Right now, though, I have 3 in there. I am using one, then I have two unwieldy pieces that I need to use up before going to another bar.

I have around 10 different soaps the shower, I try to grab a different one everyday but I do have my favorites. If I find I'm not useing a particular bar often or at all, I'll remove it.

2-3 body soaps and 1 shaving soap in shower, 2 bar and 1 liquid soap by bathroom sink, 1 bar and home-made dish LS in kitchen, gentle shampoo bar for pets & LS for hands by garage sink.

The first step is admitting you have a problem...

I was at a craft fair and they had hand made, clay vegetable strainers. I picked one up for my soap.

12112375_703562769294_7551371588155841404_n.jpg

I have since cut the bars down to a smaller size so that I can fit more, because that's a normal response...

I find I get "bored" of using the same soap for an extended period. I try to get down to a sliver but I find that about 3/4th of the way down a bar, I'll grab a new one. Even though I sell, I like using some of my real bars instead of the slivers/end cuts.

Sometimes, I'll soap hop day to day until I find one that suits me for the weather/time being and I'll stick to it till its mostly gone. Then I'll repeat the same cycle again. I don't finish very many bars if you were to guess. :/

There's usually two bars in the shower stall. One for me and one for my husband. Sometimes a third bar will make it in when I get impatient to try out a bar that just finished cure. There's usually 4-5 bars around my sink with a few test slivers lying around. Right now I have a bar of castille I bought in Greece on the island of Hydra in the mix. I don't think it was cured before it was sold. It had an unpleasant scent, and was very harsh on my hands when I first used it. It's gotten milder with age. The unpleasant scent is gone too. I wonder how they make it. It's not slimy at all.

Well I have a few of them, it depends from time to time. These days I'm using my soaps, along with other soaps from a soap exchange I had with many soapers around my country, and I use them one by one in order to have a fair criticism.

This is how it looks like:

soapsInBathroom2.jpg

ps. The white liquid on the left with the pump, is a great hair conditioner I made thanx to the great blog of Susan Barclay-Nichol.

Last edited:
I have at least 3 in the shower being used at the same time, sometimes more.
I love fresh scented ones for the day, vanilla or some other soothing scents for bedtime.
I'm a bit fussy. :)
Husband on the other hand only uses one. Kids also don't care, they will grab whatever haha.

Thank you for all of your flowing replies regarding on how you use your soap guys! I do really appreciate them. Majority of us here uses more than 1 soap. I guess I'm not the only one. :). How about facial/hair soaps? You guys do the same?

Lol, I am so happy too I am not the only one who keeps soap everywhere :mrgreen:

I have two in the shower - 1 shampoobar and showerbar, I only change them when they are used up. Then I have 3-4 on rotation on the bathroom sink in a soapdish with pebbles, and I keep 4 in the kitchen in a soapdish. When they are used up I change to other bars that are done curing.

I prefer to have that many to get a feel of my recipes and how they fase after curing. I keep track of which is which so I can go back and check the recipe and add notes if a soap stands out as being better after 3 months, 4 months etc.
Have found a coupple of favourites this way. Seems that my favourites always has sheabutter or cocoabutter in them. So changing everything up makes it easier for me to know my recipes and soapbars better.

ETA: I always use the end bits, and save the pretty cut bars until I know more about the soap and how it fares.http://www.soapmakingforum.com//no.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
Because I sell, I always use end bars, and have several in the shower at one time. On the rare occasion that I use a full bar, it seems so extravagant! I have my olive/avocado bar at the sink for my face, and a couple or three or four in the kitchen. Oh, how lucky are we soapmakers?

For facial soap I'm currently rotating between a salt bar (60% CO 35% OO 5% castor 25% salt PPO lavender eo) and great cakes soap works stress relief bar. My face is loving the mix - I haven't had a cystic acne breakout since October :) I'm still using store shampoo.

Back