How often castoreum is put into liquid soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like castoreum and avoid it at all costs. How often castoreum is put into liquid soaps?

I have never seen castoreum (expressed from beaver glands) listed as an ingredient in any artisan soapmaker's formula shared on this forum or online, although I saw one (only one) mention of it being added to cosmetics, which included soap, as a fixative. That indicates to me that the use was most likely on a commercial basis and not something the small scale home-based soapmaker would be using. And, in laymen's terms 'soap' does not mean the same thing as it does to a soapmaker, because not all 'soap' is true soap, so I can't really determine if it is commonly used in true soap (salt of fatty acids).

However, I also found that there may be a castor/castoreum (beaver glands product) which may be misleading your understanding of the word castor oil when listed on soap calculators and soapmaking formulas.

Castor Oil is made by cold pressing seeds from castor bean plant (a legume, not an animal, and certainly not a beaver). So if you see Castor Oil as an ingredient in a soap formula, that is castor oil made from castor bean seeds.

Are you referring to Castor Oil made from castor bean seeds? Or are you referring to Castoreum from Beaver glands?

If the former, how often Castor Oil is added to LS depends on the soapmaker and the formula that they use. You can create your own LS formula & not use Castor if you don't like it.

If the latter, same answer. If you don't like it, why use it in your LS?

After all, you are on a soapmaking forum for soapmakers, so I suspect you will be formulating your own recipes and you can adjust them to your liking.

Back