Quantcast

how much water do i use?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jnl

Reaction score
the SMB calculator is down so I am using soapcalc.

what do i put for the water amount as % of oils?

jnl

Reaction score
i have also heard some people use 60% and some people use 75%

whats the point of using more?

i have only made liquid soap once and it was 100% CO and it seized up on me into a super hard lump that could not be stirred.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is liquid soap, not bar soap. I prefer to use three times as much water as KOH.

Reactions: jnl

ngian

Reaction score
This is liquid soap, not bar soap. I prefer to use three times as much water as KOH.
You are right Susie, I didn't see from the SMF application the section of the forum that the OP posted from, and although the above links that I gave are explaining technical things about water on a bar soap, I guess similar theory would apply in liquid soap too...

You are also mentioning water based on KOH.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In liquid soap, the water determines the consistency of the paste(and the ease of working it and diluting later). I happen to like how it works with KOH:water at 1:3. Gives a much looser paste. It also happens to be the SBM default.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Like Susie, I use a 3:1 water:lye ratio to make my liquid soap paste. Stated another way, that is a 25% lye concentration. Like Nikos, I prefer to use lye concentration, not "water as % of oils".

I've used as low as 2:1 ratio (33% lye concentration) to make the paste, but I regretted doing that -- the paste is so dry and more difficult to work with.