how much titanium oxide for..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodym

Reaction score
i am trying to lighten my base color a bit and was wondering how much titanium oxide aprox. to try for a small batch of 823 grams of oils?
i am going to make a spring rain with sky blue swirls.. is there a calculator for colorants? thank you so much guys!
* i did read 1 tsp on the brambleberry site. just wondering if that would make a soft white base with my amount of oils.

Last edited:
I usually use 1% to my batter weight. More than that it became hard to blend, at least with the TD I had.
Say I have 400g oil, which is about 550g in batter. I want half of it to be white and the other half in other color, then it's 275g batter, so I will use about 2.5-3g TD.

I don’t measure. I “masterbatch“ my TD in a squeeze bottle (mine is water soluble) and squeeze some in, stick blend it for a couple seconds and if I’m happy with the color I stop there. If I want it a bit lighter, I add another squirt.
I keep meaning to do this, but then I never do. What's the ratio of TD to water that you use? Currently use about a teaspoon of TD to about three/four teaspoons of water but it's hard to say because i just eyeball it. Incidentally, for the OP, I use about a teaspoon, or maybe a bit less, for 500g oils.
And an other question for @Jersey Girl - do you put a glass marble in the bottle to help it to mix?

I keep meaning to do this, but then I never do. What's the ratio of TD to water that you use? Currently use about a teaspoon of TD to about three/four teaspoons of water but it's hard to say because i just eyeball it. Incidentally, for the OP, I use about a teaspoon, or maybe a bit less, for 500g oils.
And an other question for @Jersey Girl - do you put a glass marble in the bottle to help it to mix?

I use 3 parts water to one part TD so it sounds like you are in the ballpark. I put a couple stainless steel nuts in the bottle, I was afraid glass may shatter. When I’m measuring my oils and preparing for a batch I put the bottle in hot water to soften it up as it settles on the bottom and doesn’t mix properly when it’s cold.

Back