How much tallow do you get from 1 pound of animal fat?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyJadedHeart

Reaction score
I can't find this info listed anywhere. So for those of you that make HP soap using tallow, I need to know how much tallow I can expect to get from 1 pound of fat/suet.

check www.millersoap.com I think she has information about rendering tallow there.

I rendered elk fat that my hunter husband brought home. Can't remember the ratio exactly but it seemed like it was less than half of what I started with.

Tallow

I wonder if it depends on the type of suet. I rendered two five-pound batches of beef suet not too long ago and got more than four and a half pounds of tallow from each batch.

Anita

Usually about half. Of course it depends on alot of things. But expect half.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Lovelysuds, I have to agree, making large batches of tallow is the best way to go! I ordered 8 pounds of fat from my local safeway and they even ground it for me. When I got there they had more than they expected so I grabbed that up too. I came home with 12 and a half pounds of fat. Of that, I rendered 9 pounds of tallow exactly. So 3 pounds of meat... not too bad I suppose. At least my dog would argue that it's not bad at all! :D So anyway, thanks to all of you again!

Latest posts

Back