How much superfat for a higher percentage coconut oil shampoo bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa Hutchins

Reaction score
I am attempting to make my own shampoo bar (have not had good success with this in the past) based on a shampoo bar I bought and really liked. The two main oils are coconut and sunflower. All other oils are listed after the sodium hydroxide on the label. I think I would like to add lard to my recipe though. I have hair that gets oily quickly at my scalp and I never use conditioner on my hair.

What would be your recommendation for a percentage of superfat if I did a 40% coconut oil, 35% sunflower oil, and 25% lard?

I am completely at a loss for what superfat I should attempt because it is highest in coconut oil. I have only ever used coconut as high as 34% and that was at a 5% superfat for the body. I'm not sure what to do for my hair.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I am attempting to make my own shampoo bar (have not had good success with this in the past) based on a shampoo bar I bought and really liked. The two main oils are coconut and sunflower. All other oils are listed after the sodium hydroxide on the label. I think I would like to add lard to my recipe though. I have hair that gets oily quickly at my scalp and I never use conditioner on my hair.

What would be your recommendation for a percentage of superfat if I did a 40% coconut oil, 35% sunflower oil, and 25% lard?

I am completely at a loss for what superfat I should attempt because it is highest in coconut oil. I have only ever used coconut as high as 34% and that was at a 5% superfat for the body. I'm not sure what to do for my hair.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Hi,

The thing about shampoo bars I think is that you need to determine the type of hair it is for. I have tried myself shampoo bars that were too striping for my hair because I have curly and dry hair... Since, I've been making my own shampoo bars;I first tried 10% sf 80% coconut oil /20% olive oil ... it didn't do it for me. I kept this ratio the second time ( a great believer in CO!) and added coconut milk, and increased the superfat to 15% . It's working for me , i have been using the bar for 3 months now ; and some members of my family are using it - no complaints so far. This will be my base for more shampoo bars to which I plan to add essential oils and additives. I am giving it another 3 months before trying declinations...

I think that high sf works for dry hair, but not so much for hair that tend to be greasy... but you probably need a minimum amount to condition the hair...
That's my take, but I think it is a matter of tries and fails to find the right formula that suits you or the person you are making the shampoo bar for.

One very simple fact, shampoo is surfactant based, not soap. As Shunt mentioned it can definitely ruin your hair given time, but it is 100% your choice. Remember hair is dead and when you damage it there is no fixing it. Soap is just not a magic bullet that is good for everything.

Latest posts

Back