How much soap is in your house?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooicle

Reaction score
For everyone who soaps as a hobby: how often do you soap, how big are your batches, how much soap is stockpiled in your house, how much soap is TOO much for you to decide you can't soap on a given day...and any other soapy details.:cool:

For those who soap as a business:
What made you decide to sell, how often do you soap, and any other soapy details.
:computerbath:

I only soap now when my supply is getting low or near holidays such as Easter and Christmas. When I first started soaping, I made soap several times a week.

I only soap now when my supply is getting low or near holidays such as Easter and Christmas. When I first started soaping, I made soap several times a week.

Did you sell your soap early on when you had a lot?

I have maybe 200 bars of soap at any given time. I try to make two or three batches a week...my batches are only 3 pound loaves that make 8 or 9 bars. I started selling at a farmers market last Nov. and the reason...well, my son, who works in IT, has been dreaming of having a homestead with multiple income streams, self sufficient in that he grows food and works for himself to barter or sell, for years..he has had some blocks to being able to get there but I wanted to follow thru on the income stream idea by doing something myself in the self employment area...so I looked into the need for a soaper at one of my local markets and they were in need! My market is run by Southern AZ community food bank and I am particularly proud to be part of that "family". Kind of an odd way to get started selling maybe....my prices are low so everyone can participate.

I'm a hobby soamaker and I'm soaping when I have time and inspiration, which is sometimes several times per week and sometimes only once every few months (depending mainly on how busy I am at work).
My batches are up to 600g at a time, often 200-300g or even less if I'm not completely sure about a recipe yet. I like to experiment and prefer to have a lot of different soaps than a bunch of the same ones. I also cut small bars so I can get a new bar in the shower more often[emoji6]
I now have 4 trays of soap sitting in my basement: 1 with curing soaps, 1 with cured/ready to use soap, 1 with experiment soaps that I'm letting sit there to see how they cure/fade, half a tray with small pieces that I keep from each batch I make for future reference and half a tray with challenge soaps I just look at and can't bear to use [emoji87]
I really need to get started on a packaging system to store my soap in stead of just letting them sit under a towel in the basement..

I like a lot of different soaps too...I have a logbook of date, recipe and results/notes so I remember what the heck I did..especially if one is particularly nice.. I am not very good at beautiful design and stick mostly to funnel pours or side or in the pot swirls...but I love different recipes and different color/fragrances for the same recipe both..its so much fun to make soap and even better to use it! I keep my parts and pieces and new bars to try in the bathroom, so I have about 40 soaps in there...well I live alone! I can do that!

Last edited:
Like lsg, when I first started about 13 years ago, I was a soaping maniac, soaping several times a week. It went on like that for a few years and I gifted lots of soap to family and friends besides using it ourselves, but I eventually had to slow down otherwise we'd have been overrun with soap! Most of my batches are 2.8lbs, some are 1.13 lbs, and I also occasionally make 4lb batches of some of my most well-loved scents.

At certain points I entertained the idea of selling, but after some serious reflection I finally put that idea to rest, because I know myself too well- a business-person is something I am definitely not! I am at my happiest behind the scenes creating and making things for the pure enjoyment of it. Just the thought of having to make batches and batches of soap out of obligation because customers are breathing down my neck makes me not want to make any at all, so I remain a hobbyist. lol

Nowadays, in order to keep my house from being overrun with soap, I make soap only when I need to, i.e., when I'm getting low on household stock, and around holidays and upcoming birthdays for gift-giving, which means I can sometimes go months in between soaping sessions. I have about a 4' x 2' x 1.5' space carved out for my soap inventory, and I try not to exceed it.

IrishLass :)

Like lsg, when I first started about 13 years ago, I was a soaping maniac, soaping several times a week. It went on like that for a few years and I gifted lots of soap to family and friends besides using it ourselves, but I eventually had to slow down otherwise we'd have been overrun with soap! Most of my batches are 2.8lbs, some are 1.13 lbs, and I also occasionally make 4lb batches of some of my most well-loved scents.

At certain points I entertained the idea of selling, but after some serious reflection I finally put that idea to rest, because I know myself too well- a business-person is something I am definitely not! I am at my happiest behind the scenes creating and making things for the pure enjoyment of it. Just the thought of having to make batches and batches of soap out of obligation because customers are breathing down my neck makes me not want to make any at all, so I remain a hobbyist. lol

Nowadays, in order to keep my house from being overrun with soap, I make soap only when I need to, i.e., when I'm getting low on household stock, and around holidays and upcoming birthdays for gift-giving, which means I can sometimes go months in between soaping sessions. I have about a 4' x 2' x 1.5' space carved out for my soap inventory, and I try not to exceed it.

IrishLass :)
I admire your restraint!

I started making soap just over a year ago. I researched and read about it for years and it was something I wanted to try, but did not have time to do it, nor funds to invest in the materials. I first started with M&P, then moved on to buying rebatch soap from BB, then about a year ago I got the nerve to buy some lye and make my first batch of CP soap. I make soap on my weekends off, and I make 1 pound batches mostly. I make 3 lb batches on occasion, but only when I have practiced the recipe.

I have about 60 bars of soap right now. I do not sell my soap and do not plan to. I use it and give a bar away every chance I get. It's therapeutic for me, and a creative outlet. I make lots of other things for my personal use as well. I sold products online for 7 years before I realized that when an avocation becomes your vocation - for me it took the joy out of it.

I think I'm nearing around 150 bars right now but I'm not sure. I make a batch that's roughly 10 bars at a time, all varying in heights lol coz I use the same mold but different total batch sizes hehehe

I'm actually running out of curing/storage space coz I can't give soap away nor use soap fast enough lol and everyone here is telling me to start selling......

I soap when I have time. Sometimes I can manage a batch or two in a week. Sometimes a month goes by with nothing from me. I've had days where I managed two batches in a day lol

I have way too much soap :) but its therapeutic for me and I am recently retired so there is that. I have around 400 bars. I have started selling at the farmers markets and craft fairs. and I sell/give away to family and friends. I have done three batches a day at times. I keep telling myself that I am done for awhile. my saving grace is that it is canning season--I can, freeze and dehydrate a lot every year. but I have dandelions infusing so I figure I have time to make a batch of that, some carrot soap and another strainer pull soap in time for the last show that I have scheduled. I plan on it today and tomorrow. the apples are going really good and I have a friend who will give me all I want and is encouraging me to make my dehydrated apples to sell at the farmers markets too.

I dont sell and have only even been visiting the forums on the odd occasion in the past 4 or so months and have not made any since about January or February this year! I recently cleared my curing shelves of the last batches I still had left on there which amounted to about 150 bars and I have about 250-300 bars still upstairs in various boxes and bags that I'm currently trying to give away but I simply dont know enough people to give them all away too so iv been asking people if they will give them to work mates just so I can justify making more. Iv started keeping most in the boxed that my cats wet food come in because i can separate them easily and then stack them in the corner out the way somewhere! I feel like my curing shelves are going to waste because they just arnt getting the use they deserve! Iv a large batch planned to use up some palm oil ect and to try some new fo I have bought for candles and melts

I dont sell and have only even been visiting the forums on the odd occasion in the past 4 or so months and have not made any since about January or February this year! I recently cleared my curing shelves of the last batches I still had left on there which amounted to about 150 bars and I have about 250-300 bars still upstairs in various boxes and bags that I'm currently trying to give away but I simply dont know enough people to give them all away too so iv been asking people if they will give them to work mates just so I can justify making more. Iv started keeping most in the boxed that my cats wet food come in because i can separate them easily and then stack them in the corner out the way somewhere! I feel like my curing shelves are going to waste because they just arnt getting the use they deserve! Iv a large batch planned to use up some palm oil ect and to try some new fo I have bought for candles and melts
I have the same problem - I don't sell my soap and I do not plan to. I live alone, so I don't use it up very quickly. I give some to my family - and when I make new friends (just moved) I will give some to them. But I have quite a lot and still wanting to make more! I am looking into places where I can donate some. I just ordered some tags and jute string to put a handwritten note on and I plan to give one to my hairdresser this week along with my tip. That will reduce my bars by one - not much but it's a start lol.

I have the same problem - I don't sell my soap and I do not plan to. I live alone, so I don't use it up very quickly. I give some to my family - and when I make new friends (just moved) I will give some to them. But I have quite a lot and still wanting to make more! I am looking into places where I can donate some. I just ordered some tags and jute string to put a handwritten note on and I plan to give one to my hairdresser this week along with my tip. That will reduce my bars by one - not much but it's a start lol.

that's a great idea to give with tips!!

I'm just a hobbyist and make as needed.
I've only made a few of batches so far.
I'm down to my last bar now so I'll need to get going on it soon.
But I also enjoy making bathbombs, lip balms, salves, jam, jelly, syrup, etc. So I can always make those when I'm not making soap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back