How much powered milk to use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Up until now I have been using 100% frozen long life (UHT) goats milk for my soaps. I have decided to change to using powdered milk for a bit. Mainly I want to see if its going to help with some of the overheating issues I have with particular FOs.

How much powdered milk do I use in each batch? My normal recipe has 38% water and uses 342 grams of milk for a total of 900grams of oil.

TIA and if I missed anything let me know and I'll do my best to answer it.

You should look to see how much it recommends to mix, then calculate how much you need for your amount of wqter. For example, if the container says 2 tbsp to 1 cup of water and you use 16 ounces of water, you would need 4 tbsp.

Look at the container the powder comes in, then just use the instructions on the package to put the proper amount of powder for the amount of liquid milk you would normally use.

Meyenberg's instructions read as follows: For 1 cup milk, mix 28g powder to 3/4 c water. Since a cup is 240(ish) ml, I would probably use 42g milk powder to 9 fl oz(252 ml) water. Then, once mixed, I would weigh out the proper 342 g.

Using powder also comes out cheaper in the long run if you account for not having to refrigerate or freeze it. Once you figure out how much to use, you can just dump the powder into the oils and mix the NaOH with the water, so it will be easier also.

Awesomeness. It never even occured to me to read the directions on the packet. Silly me. One of the other reasons I am swit c hing is im getting in trouble for taking up too much room in the freezer with frozen milk. Haha

Not gonna lie, I MIGHT have bought a chest freezer off craigslist mostly for soaping purposes but disguised it as a way to stock up on good meat sales. I have a whole corner devoted to all my random soapy additives/oils in there and now I won't have to worry about where to put my soaps to prevent gel. No more dirty stares or complaints about coconut milk cubes falling when opening the freezer. Def. worth the $50 investment.

Not gonna lie, I MIGHT have bought a chest freezer off craigslist mostly for soaping purposes but disguised it as a way to stock up on good meat sales. I have a whole corner devoted to all my random soapy additives/oils in there and now I won't have to worry about where to put my soaps to prevent gel. No more dirty stares or complaints about coconut milk cubes falling when opening the freezer. Def. worth the $50 investment.

Thats the thing I DO have a chest freezer. And its quite a big one too. We like to also buy up meat in bulk and I also make my own dog food which takes up a bit of room. I used to have 1 basket in there that I could use for my soap stuff but it has been taken over by the 4 water bottles that we take to work each day so there isnt much room left in there for soap stuff. And our fridge doesnt have a freezer on it :(

Latest posts

Back