How Much Piping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBunny

Reaction score
I am completely new to soap making but I'm confidant (maybe overly confidant) I can figure this out pretty quickly. I have been researching and formulating ideas, recipes and learning techniques for months and I have finally bit the bullet and purchased my supplies.

I am about to make my first few batches of CP soap without piping on them... but after that I want to also start piping my loaves. I am an avid baker and cake decorator – so when I found out I can pipe SOAP I was over the moon.

With that being said, I feel like it's a complete guessing game when it comes to how much mixture I need to make. From my research I have found a few different methods to preparing CP frosting. One by whipping the batter and another by letting it sit and “set up” I plan on using the sit and “set up” method.

Im just wondering if someone could give me some hints on how much extra frosting I need to make.

I have a 5lb wood loaf mold.

Thanks in advance for all your expertise J <3

As you have experience with piping, you're in a good position - you should have an idea how full the piping bag would need to be in volume to pipe what you need. The trick is turning that in to a weight of soap to make.

There is a formula which is a general (but good) rule of thumb for working out the weight of soap for a mould volume - WxHxLx0.4 for inches, 0.7 for cm.

So if you would need to half fill your piping bag to pipe enough soap, how much is that if it were half filled with water? How would that much water look if it was cubed? If that makes sense.

I don't pipe my loafs, however, I do make cupcake & Ice Cream cone soaps. It's purely guessing as it will depend on how high you pipe. For mine I generally make the same size batch as for the bottom. I do the sit and wait. I make my base and then let it sit while I make my piping soap. I get it to medium trace then put in in my piping bag and let it sit till its the right consistency for me. Make sure you use well behaving non heating fragrances. I used one once that caused it to gel right in the piping bag, got so hot I couldn't handle it. Now I only use tried and true fragrances that I know what they are pretty much going to do.

I don't pipe my loafs, however, I do make cupcake & Ice Cream cone soaps. It's purely guessing as it will depend on how high you pipe. For mine I generally make the same size batch as for the bottom. I do the sit and wait. I make my base and then let it sit while I make my piping soap. I get it to medium trace then put in in my piping bag and let it sit till its the right consistency for me. Make sure you use well behaving non heating fragrances. I used one once that caused it to gel right in the piping bag, got so hot I couldn't handle it. Now I only use tried and true fragrances that I know what they are pretty much going to do.

Wow!! That's good to know - that must have been a surprise!

Soaping is definitely a "learn from your mistakes" hobby - that's for sure!

I use half the amount of the bottom amount when I pipe which isn't too often. I usually pipe a slab so that the piping shows as Ill usually pipe roses and leaves, flowers that I don't think looks good when slicing loaf. I always use a recipe and FO that I know is not going to give me problems. I also use the sit and wait method as shunt2011 suggests. Piping is challenging so it took me a long time to get the flowers and roses correct as I had never piped even frosting on baked goods before. But I like how they look now. I have always had enough using 1/2 of the base recipe. Its a shame to run out before your finished - because even though you can make more you don't always get the colors the same shade again, But I have had to do it as I didn't have enough. It all depends on how high you pipe so just try to come close and if not next time you know. Everything we do that is new in soaping is a learning experience. Even things we have done before can sometimes teach us too! lmao!

:)Wow!

I am so blown away at the generosity of knowledge from you experienced soapers! This is definitely a community I want to be a part of. Im sure I'll be posting 1000 more questions as I learn my way through soap making

Latest posts

Back