How much oils should I use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noni2009

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a question; mind you I haven't made soap in about 6 years and I am unable to retrieve my previous cp recipes lol I normally use the MMS lye calc but I forgot how many grams of each ingredient I should use. I just ordered a silicone mold from Bulk Apothecary and didn't realize that it holds 3 lbs of soap, as I normally make 1 lb loaves. Here is my list of ingredients that I would like to enter in the soap calc. The thing is, I don't want to make 3 lbs, just about a lb and a half if possible: TIA!!

olive oil
coconut oil
castor oil
cocoa butter
argan butter
cranberry butter
grapeseed oil

Welcome back Noni. I would start with just a basic recipe to get back in the groove. I've never used any of the butters you've listed except Cocoa Butter so no help there.

In the soap calc you decide to use just enter the weight of soap you want to make. Soapee.com or soapcalc will work for you just fine.

With what you have listed it would likely need a fairly long cure unless you can get your hands on some lard or palm.

If not I would probably do 65% Olive oil, 20% Coconut, 10% Cocoa Butter & 5% Castor. Do a 5% SF and 33% lye concentration.

Thank you Shunt2011! I used the calc on MMS and kept playing with the recipe until I came up with what seems to be a pretty good recipe (I hope!) My percentages match yours so I guess making soap is like riding a bicycle!

I just made a pound of soap and I'm not sure if this recipe is correct! I used the Brambleberry calc and I looked on the internet to see what the percentages should be in regards to the percent of olive oil to coconut oil. I used the following recipe with a superfat of 5%

Argan oil 27g
Castor oil 27g
Olive oil 200g
Coconut oil 100g
Grapeseed oil 75g
Shea butter 27g
Water 139g
Lye 62g

Latest posts

Back