How much Oat Meal Per pound of Oils ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGraysoldtowngifts

Reaction score
Hello all

I have been requested to create Loaf of soap that includes oat meal in it. I have read a few posts about this but each post has given different measurements of how much oat meal to add.

Soooo I wanted to ask here in my thread what you all think is a good balanced amount per pound of soap to add. The person who asked for this soap has Eczema and wants to try this in the following recipe.

Thanks Todd

1.jpg

I use colloidal oats - 1T per lb of oils.

Hello all

I have been requested to create Loaf of soap that includes oat meal in it. I have read a few posts about this but each post has given different measurements of how much oat meal to add.

Soooo I wanted to ask here in my thread what you all think is a good balanced amount per pound of soap to add. The person who asked for this soap has Eczema and wants to try this in the following recipe.

Thanks Todd

I use 1 tbsp. of Earth's Best brand oatmeal for babies. http://www.earthsbest.com/sites/default/files/products/w600/02392390017.jpg

I like it because it's not scratchy in my soap.

If I had to use the Quaker Oats in your pic, my skin is such that I would have to grind it into powder first and soak it for a bit before adding to my soap.

The baby oats that I use can be added straight with no soaking.

IrishLass :)

I use 1 tbsp. of Earth's Best brand oatmeal for babies. http://www.earthsbest.com/sites/default/files/products/w600/02392390017.jpg

I like it because it's not scratchy in my soap.

If I had to use the Quaker Oats in your pic, my skin is such that I would have to grind it into powder first and soak it for a bit before adding to my soap.

The baby oats that I use can be added straight with no soaking.

IrishLass :)

Good Points

I was able to grind it into a fine powder using a food processor it seems to be really fine now. I also did some more reading this stuff has been used for many issues over the years I did now know that it is a natural itch reducer and it also has some major conditioning properties.

Todd

It is only an itch reducer if you are NOT allergic to oats. Oatmeal, in my opinion, is not a magical ingredient.

I am with IL with using baby oatmeal. Colloidal oats are so fine they virtually disintegrate and most spice/coffee grinders to not get it as fine as Colloidal oats. You really need a good grain mill for getting the oatmeal fine enough.

You just think you ground it fine enough. You really, truly need a fine powder that is not easy to achieve at home. Do that person a favor and run grab a box of baby food oatmeal from the grocery store. Or at least be sure that you, personally, try the soap on your tender bits before giving it away.

You could also make it with oat milk, though it probably doesn't have all the same benefits as adding oats to it.

Last edited:
You just think you ground it fine enough. You really, truly need a fine powder that is not easy to achieve at home. Do that person a favor and run grab a box of baby food oatmeal from the grocery store. Or at least be sure that you, personally, try the soap on your tender bits before giving it away.

:) Tender bits LOl

As always I will try it first

Todd

Latest posts

Back