how much liquid for a rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotts71

Reaction score
how much liquid do you add back to a rebatch? Can u use any liquid?

I have some v8 juice and was thinking v8 and some dried herbs like basil or thyme or oregano.-- it that an option on a rebatch

oh soap is approx 3 pounds

In my own experience adding a small amount of liquid rendered my rebatch unusable. I think I rebatched about 2 months ago and its still very soft. I could probably mold it into a ball if I needed to.

Others may have had better luck, but next time I need to rebactch I'm trying the boil-in-a-bag method.

The amount of water depends on how old the soap is. If it's new then you don't need any liquid at all. If it is quite dry then perhaps a tablespoon for your 3 lbs. to dampen the shreds a little.

You really don't want to use much liquid. Your soap will melt but not really be pourable...sort of like melted marshmellows or mashed potatoes.....gloppy and sticky. It cools down really fast too so you need to get it into the mold quickly. I find that the most difficult part. My edges seem to be very rustic looking but the cut edges are nice.

You can definately add botanicals to the rebatch. Some herbs and flowers might go black on you though. Dill stays green as does parsley. Not sure about basil, thyme and oregano...perhaps someone else will know. Rosemary and lavender go black for sure (in cp at least)....dead flies is what it reminds me of. Though I still like it!! :D

Maybe because it's a rebatch they will retain their color more.

I posted my rebatch method including pics in the photo gallery if you want to see! In my testing adding juice might make your rebatch a yucky color. I think once mine turned pukey brown. I add only small amounts of liquid just to let it melt down.

the boil-in-a-bag was the method I was thinking of using. Going to put in vac seal bag (not vac sealed just sealed) to make sure it doesn't break on me. The soap is only about a week or less old. So I'm guessing add no liquid. Just scents.

Thanks

Will go to pic gal to read up on rebatching.

Advise is still welcome. This will be my first rebatch.

Back