How much linoleic acid will suffice for oily, acne-prone skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
Although I have been mindful of wanting 'lots of linoleic acid' in soaps for oily, acne-prone skin, I am unsure how much is effective.

Using the scores in Soapcalc's fatty acid profile section, this is especially my concern when I consider alternative recipes which have a lower linoleic acid score. What is the lowest linoleic score that will be enough?

Would oily skinned people feel a marked difference between formulations like 38 and 25 as in the examples below?

Additionally, to what extent do additives alter the cleaning experience or compensate for the otherwise too low linoleic scores? For instance, might a scrubby soap using a lower or 'low' linoleic score be similarly effective as a formulation with higher or 'high' linoleic score?

Linoleic acid - 38.jpg
Linoleic acid - 25.jpg

BTW, I saw the survey done some years ago on another site in which people voted on their favourite levels of each fatty acid. However, I was unsure how to interpret that data because I could not find details about the skin types of the respondents and imagine that skin type contributed significantly to preferences.

Back